My experience regarding lost package rate over time

As I did with the “how long it takes me to sell an item” I have also kept track of my lost package statistics over time, so I’ve posted it as well for interest.

Notes:
-these results reflect my experience across all the online sites I use
-I sell a lot of stuff internationally, at least 35% of my packages go outside North America

It is also worth noting that for 2016 I continued to have 3 types of insurance:
1. Self insurance for the small stuff
2. Canada Post for the first $100 only when items are sent expedited, expresspost or trackable
3. 3rd party insurer (Hugh Woods) for stuff over $200

2016 results
% of shipments = .004 = under one half of 1% of packages are lost, so about 1 in 250 packages are lost
% of sales = .0024 = about one quarter of 1 percent loss rate
8 "lost" in 2016 USA(2),Canada, India, Oman, Russia, Australia, Bolivia
7 lost and unrecovered.
1 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: USA)

Things I did in 2016.
-China & Brazil require trackable shipping. Number of buyers especially China increased over the year, they began buying batches of stuff to make the postage palatable.
-decided against adding extra custom shipping costs to Russian buyers (not tracking) so far, am also considering doing the same for others

2015 results
% of shipments = .0097 = about 1% of packages are lost, so about 1 in 100 packages are lost
% of sales = .0090 = about 1 percent loss rate
13 "lost" in 2015 Russia(5) Belarus, Canada, China, French Polynesia, Kuwait, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka
12 lost and unrecovered
1 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: Canada)

Things I did in 2015.
-I changed China and Brazil to custom shipping requiring trackable shipping. Number of buyers dropped dramatically.
-am considering adding extra custom shipping costs to Russian buyers (not tracking), however had many sales, including one for $1500 which more than offsets the minor losses.

2014 results
% of shipments = .0051 = 1/2 a % of packages are lost, so about 1 in 200 packages are lost
% of sales = .0040 = .4% of sales ie less than 1/2 of one percent loss rate
10 "lost" in 2014 USA(2) Nepal(1) China(2) Brazil(3) Germany(1) Russia (1)
7 lost and unrecovered USA(2) Brazil (2) Russia China(2)
3 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: Nepal,Germany,Brazil)

2013 results one half of one percent of sales loss rate:
0.51% "insurance" loss rate (10 losses USAx3,Argentina,Chinax3,France,Israel,North Korea)
(Note in 2013 2 packages “lost” and later arrived and Buyers repaid(Brazil, Russia), 1 package loss partially covered by Canada post, no losses covered by 3rd party insurer)

2012 results - under 1% of sales loss rate:
0.83% "insurance": loss rate (9 lost shipments Argentina,Australia,Brazil,Canada,Chinax2,Indonesia,Russia,Turkey)
A reminder that 2012 is the year that CP covered the small packets, I had a few recoveries this way.
I had a big loss within Canada

RICARMIC
Store: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/roncarmichaelstamps

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I see several threads/notes about International Shipping & lost items/non-receipt. I will share a small tip (most likely many are doing it already) Previously (Delcampe) I sent numerous items to China. I would always ask my buyer to type & e-Mail me his address in his local Chinese Dialect. This is simple as they have the proper keyboard. Then its only a matter of printing & formatting properly & tape next to his English address. Thus, creating a Bi-lingual mailing label. This can also be done with Arabic & the Cyrillic alphabet. I have never had an item sent to either China or Russia go lost. Same for several to Viet Nam & Mongolia.. Best to all from the Desert, Dan