ImplementedSheets vs. Panes

edited April 2016 in Feature Requests 0 LikesVote Down
1. If I click on Browse US stamps I can see various stamp formats. "Sheets" is listed as one format, but the list really shows panes of stamps. None of the panes from my store show up in the "Sheets" format. Since Panes and Sheets are really 2 different things at a minimum it seems to me that my "Panes" should show up under the format called "sheets".

2. Will these formats eventually appear as options under individual stores?

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We're currently reprocessing all items at the moment to automatically include Stamp Condition and Stamp Format. This should be done in a few days.

Sheets should appear under Sheets, and Panes should appear under Multiples at that time.
  • Well, Mark, I am glad to see that Stamp Condition and Formats will be coming. I guess I will just go in and rename my panes to sheets.
  • May as well, Wayne, since most collectors seem to call panes sheets, anyway.

Ted

• Agree with that Ted.
  • I was trying to avoid confusing Booklet Panes with Sheets. However, in reviewing this further, it appears most sellers will write "booklet pane" (or some variation thereof) for booklet panes, and just "Pane" when they mean a sheet. So I've gone ahead and updated out system to include "Pane"s with the "Sheet" format.
  • Oh, thanks so much, Mark. The problem is our suggestions just make more work for you.
  • I vote for "panes" format. I don't collected sheets, only panes.
  • Currently Booklet Panes won't be categorized as "Sheets" only non "Booklet" panes - which it appears most sellers use to describe Sheets... Booklet Panes are part of "Multiples" at the moment - but we could try to split it out. In the interim you can of course also search for Booklet or Pane.

Does that make sense, or do you still think it's an issue? Either way I'll review this further soon.
  • I would much prefer a separate category "format" of simply "Booklets".
  • Well, yes. But, a booklet pane is quite different than a booklet. There are collectors of both. The booklet pane is a format stamps come in. A booklet is a format that booklet panes come in. They seem quite different to me and I think should be clearly specified.
  • Well, I agree that both booklets and booklet panes would be ideal.

• A booklet itself, as opposed to a Booklet Pane - is currently under "Stamp Type" as opposed to "Stamp Format".

The general (or at least the idea behind) a "Stamp Type" is that it's identifiable via a separate catalog number, and is therefor it's own type of stamp, vs. a "Stamp Format", which is generally the format the type of stamp is in (and can generally be change - ie: you can take apart a sheet, block, pair, etc.)

While a "Stamp Condition" is generally something that has happened to a stamp, or not happened. Such as it's Mint, it's been Hinged, it's been used, it's been used on a cover, etc.
  • OK, got it. However there are still inconsistencies. Here's a question. You have Plate Block under Format. What is the difference between a Plate Block, and a Booklet Pane with a Plate Number on it? Aren't they both "Formats" under your definition? I am not suggesting you have Booklet Pane with Plate Number as a format, just Booklet Pane. Booklet panes have their own listing in the Scott catalog, albeit minor, but Scott does have a complete, separate section Booklets: Panes & Covers, which includes complete booklets. They do NOT have a separate catalog section for Plate Blocks. Try finding Scott 279Bj without using a catalog number. Under "Booklets" there are 2 listings. IF you Search under United States>booklet pane you get 1,637 listings. That is more than three of the Stamp Format categories. Shouldn't it be its own? I don't care if it is a "type" or a "format" it just needs a place to be checked for easy display. Here is another complication. What happens if I collect booklet panes from the world and want to see them all? Right now I can't. Admittedly I probably would never want to do that but it might be nice to have for someone. Does this make sense to you? Thanks for listening by the way.
  • I just tried finding 279Bj without using a catalog number. Try that. You have one listing and it has a plate number on it (990) with an asking price of $1,195. There is no way to get there without the catalog number. There should be in my opinion. If it was my listing I would want people to see it easily.
  • Thanks. I've made a note to review this further.
  • That is all I can ask, thank you.
  • Well, I see it is now 5 months later, and the confusion still persists. I ran into it last night listing booklets and panes.
    To me, the ideal is to make it easy for the customer to find the product he wants to buy. I don't believe the average customer is going to split hairs between a Booklet and a Booklet Pane. And the way the program is now is only confusing the sellers who have to guess if a pane is a multiple or a block or a sheet, etc, or spend a couple hours reading thru the Forums to see if there are any discussions on the matter. There is nothing intuitive about it... I just had to guess, and still don't know how to setup an Airmail Booklet Pane. Why not avoid the confusion that is obvious by all of these posts, and at the same time make it easier for the customer, by making a separate FORMAT for Booklet/Booklet Pane... even though you think it is wrong. If it helps to sell stamps and makes it quicker for the seller to setup listings, what does it matter if a pane is a format or a type? Who cares, except for a handful of purists? Speed up the process and end the confusion.
  • No pain, no gain.