For All You Readers of Icelandic :o)) . . .

I'm reluctant to toot my own horn, but I can't really say much about this to people that don't know stamps.

And even you folks, who are 'in the know' about stamps and First Day Covers, may not be much impressed by this little honor that was afforded me recently by the Icelandic Postal Service.

Ísland Postphil puts out a bi-monthly colorful newsletter that is distributed free to any Icelandic children interested in stamps and collecting. The most recent issue contained a really nice feature about me and the cachets I have made over the years for Icelandic FDCs. It featured 10 of my Iceland FDCs (8 in the centerfold pictured below and 2 others on the cover) and told a bit about me and my line of Puffin Cachets!

I realize you won't be able to decipher the text . . but I thought you might enjoy the visuals! I'm very flattered that the Icelanders did this for me!!

Iceland Kids' Newsletter

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Congratulations, Dave! I really do hope with all your covers you are able to catch the eye of a young budding stamper.

See, I know there was going to be a time when we could all say, I remember Dave when.......before he got famous, and now you are Internationally famous. So cool!
  • I'm surrounded by celebrities: Michael numbers, author, Dave Bennett, artist, and Dr Luree, famous woman scientist.
  • Beautiful cachets on beautiful stamps. Well done
  • You have been passionate about the Icelandic stamps for many years, Dave. It's so nice to see you talents and interests honored in this way. Congratulations on the recognition! Til hamingju!
  • Fantastic, Dave, and well deserved!
  • edited May 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    Thank you, friends, for all the kind words!

I don't know about "internationally famous", Luree -- Iceland has about the same national population as Corpus Christi, Texas - 332,000 - and the number of Icelandic children that see that newsletter is probably pretty tiny!

More like "infinitesimally infamous" ! :smiley:

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/bennett-cachetoons
  • Wonderful honor, Dave and we are all impressed. Congratulations !
  • Til hamingju, Dave! Vel gert!
  • Takk fyrir, Jeri og Kurt!! :smiley:
  • Congratulations, Dave! It's great to have your accomplishments recognized (no matter how small or large the audience!)!
  • Congratulations Dave from an Icelandic collector.
  • Thank you, gentlemen!

It is in reality but a small recognition, but Iceland is so dear to my heart that it has outsized meaning to me! :blush: :smile:
  • Dave, if it's not too personal a question, what is the background for your connection to Iceland?
  • In 1972 I had a 2 day layover on an ICELANDIC AIR flight back to the States. It was a wonderful experience. I only saw Reykjavík but the city was full of stamp stores. That was the year of the Fisher-Spaskey Chess Match & Covers were everywhere. I was treated like King & returned stateside with gifts for all my (& my fathers) stamps friends. Iceland is NOT a transit point .. It is a Destination !!!
  • You're so right! As part of the text in the article above says, "Dave has been reading about Iceland since he was 12 years old and dreams of some day visiting our country."

It's item #1 on my Bucket List!
  • Dave - sorry, I didn't see your question right away -- the answer (in Icelandic) is actually in the article above!

When I was about 10, my dad made a business trip to Iceland and sent me a letter from there. The envelope was franked with 6 different Icelandic stamps . . and I was instantly captivated! A short time later I was on a Jules Verne kick and read "Journey to the Center of the Earth" --- a journey that started in Iceland, if you know the story!

That did it! Ever since then I have been a total Icelandophile! My wife claims I was a Medieval Icelandic sheepherder in a former life!

It was nice of you to ask!
  • Thanks for sharing that, Dave! I knew about your collecting interest, but didn't know the why. What a great connection!

(And when you do make it there, you'll no doubt be a VIP guest at Iceland Post!)
  • Dave, make the trip there! You wont regret it. My Brother-in-law, Paul went there and was so happy with the trip. So very well worth it. And yes, he did bring me a lot of Icelandic stamps, mostly Europa's. I was delighted with them. The pictures he took were just breath taking. They spent about 10 days over there and could have stayed much longer.
  • Dave Bennett: Your accomplishments continue to amaze me and now I hear of the international ones! Congratulations.
  • For reason, I'm just seeing this forum post. Congrats Dave! Your FDCs for the Iceland Mythological Creatures was amazing.

Bob
  • Thanks for the kind words, Bob and John!
  • Here's the 'Creatures' FDC Bob was referring to . . .

Iceland Creatures • Legend
  • My brother was stationed in the Navy at the air base in Keflavik. He really enjoyed it there.
  • Dave I see this is featured on a PBS Channel tonight.. see if you can get it. Thursday, August 17, 09:30 pm on 8.2

Duration: 0:26:46 Dave this is on PBS-2 tonight looks interesting.

Description: Jim West travels to Reykjavik, Iceland where master artisans teach how to make horsehair jewelry, craft items from fish skin, and participatse in one of the largest tapestry projects in the world. He carves items from driftwood and makes beautiful glass products from volcanic ash. Jim also learns about traditional Icelandic costumes and makes a hearty and healthy Icelandic lamb soup.

[HD][CC]
  • Sounds interesting -- thanks, Dan!

(but can he make FDC cachets????)

:smiley:
  • Dave compared to you Sir, NOBODY can make an FDC Cachet.. Best from Phoenix, Dan
  • Aw, gee . . . . :blush: