how to bulk-edit existing listings with a csv file?

I just downloaded a complete file of my active listings, and when I look at them in spreadsheet style, I can see where there are some fields that are empty, especially in the items specifics, such as year.

Is there a way to submit a csv to update these fields? I tried a test through the bulk-listing tool, submitting the existing item id ("id") and the year ("item_specifics_07_year_of_issue"), and it looks like the bulk listing tool is expecting information to create a new item.

It also looks like this might also be possible to do it using this function:

https://deskportal.zoho.com/portal/hipecommerce/kb/articles/bulk-lister-advanced-usage

but it looks like I could easily nuke my listings while trying to figure out how to use it.

Basically, I'd like to update a few fields for some listings (maybe a hundred or so), and I can easily generate the change file, but to manually edit each listing separately would be quite time-consuming, especially since I can put the spreadsheet together easily.

Thanks for any insight into this process.

-- Dave

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium/?sort=catalog

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There should be no problem in adding the missing info to your file and uploading it. Just be sure to upload your images again first.
    That's how I have bulk edited my listings.
  • I might mention I edited my original upload files and re-uploaded them. You said you downloaded a file of all your current active listings. I only see options for downloading files of sales and purchases. How do you download current listings?
  • edited June 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    Hi, Ted -- Thanks for your help with this!

Let me answer your question first. It took me a while to figure out how to download everything, so I'm glad it's not just me that didn't find it obvious.

Once you drill down to your open listings:

Members > Selling > Listings > Open

then select the little check box above your listings on the first page.

Then use the little drop-down arrow next to it, and choose "Select all xxx matching listings" (your total count)

Then scroll down to the bottom of the page, and the button choice on the far right will be "Export".

That should do it. (If I wrote it up correctly.)

-- Dave

• edited June 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    So, Ted, to clarify what you described in how you bulk edit, you only have to supply the info for the fields that are changing, not supply *all* the info for all the fields again -- except for the images, which you have to submit again?

And you're referencing the open listing by the id # , or by the private-id? (About half my listings don't have a private id, because I only started using them recently.)

-- Dave

• Hmmm ...

A couple of developments:

Under the "Field Mapping Templates", there *is* one that says "Default: Update Existing Listings by ID".

That is what I'm looking for. (And I didn't select it before because I didn't realize that option was there.)

But when I try to use my 2-column test csv file ("id" and "item_specifics_07_year_of_issue"), I still get the error message:

'(Req) Item Title' is required and cannot be empty.
    '(Req) Main Category' is required and cannot be empty.
    '(Req) Description' is required and cannot be empty.
    '(Req) Images' is required and cannot be empty.

But have you found that just supplying the images takes care of that, or do all 4 fields still need to be re-supplied?
  • And that the begs the next question:

Let's say I need to add the year to some listings and the topic to some others.

Do you know if I need to submit the field value for both fields for all of those records to be updated, or does it assume that a blank in a record's field means no change to that field? Or does it clear the value in that field and make it empty?

Ted, I realize you may not be able to answer all of this. I'm just putting these questions out there.
  • Well, I just tried by adding an additional column with the image urls, but it still wants the title, category and description.

I think I'll stop working on this tonight and check back in tomorrow morning and see if Mark may have replied.

For the items I listed just yesterday, it would be easier, I know, to just cancel the new listings and resubmit my csv again, but with my field mapping template fixed (which is how I have some fields omitted), but some of the listings are quite old (from the BidStart days) and I don't have that data in my database (although I could import the report of my listings that I generated today into a new database and spit it back out that way).
  • Hi Phil,
    I have found that sometimes you have to resave the file and make sure you select .csv. I have noticed that excel imports it in a different way sometimes (not a csv). My memory is a bit foggy, as I haven't done this in a while, but might be worth a try.
  • To update your listings in this way:

Step 1 - Export Your Listings:
    From the Members Area > Selling > Listings > Open section select the arrow next to the top checkbox and then select the option to "Select All XX Matching Listings"
    Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Export button, and wait to receive an email that your file is ready, which you can download from the Members Area > Selling > Seller Tools > Reports section

Step 2 - Open the Export (CSV) File and Make Your Changes:
    Using Excel, WPS Office, or Libre/Open Office, open the CSV file and make the changes you want.
    Note: Do not remove or add any columns, just leave everything you don't want to change as-is
    Note: Some fields can only have certain values, be sure to review this here: https://www.hipstamp.com/members/tools/bulk-lister/?filter=structure

Step 3 - Upload the file to the Bulk Lister
    Upload your file and select the "Default: Update Existing Listings by ID" template
    Click submit, leave everything as-is on the next page, and click submit again.

Wait for the file to process, and your listings will be updated accordingly.

Note: While you should not remove or add any columns, you can update just a few listings at a time. So for example, if you wanted to update 10 or 100 first, just delete the rows for the rest of the items.
  • Thanks, Mark --

This is straightforward.

Looking forward to giving it a shot later on today and reporting back.

I appreciate the clear steps!
  • Hi, Deborah --

Thanks very much for that reminder. You're right -- the file type is really important. That wasn't my particular problem this time, but I have been tripped up by that before!