How's your STAMPWANTS 'recall'? ••• A FREE COVER to those of you with great memories!

edited August 2017 in Promos 4 LikesVote Down
I miss the camaraderie of the old STAMPWANTS gang!

I recently came across a bunch of old drawings that I had done for the STAMPWANTS Forum back when we were all toying with the idea of creating a StampWants Mascot! Any of you remember that little exercise?

One of the nearly 30 animals and other characters that were suggested as candidates happened to be a SHARK . . . so I put that artwork on an envelope, franked it with one of the recent shark stamps, and serviced it at the recent AmeriCover convention of the AFDCS in Cleveland, Ohio (my hometown!).

StampWants Shark
I'll send one of these covers - FREE!- to the FIRST FIVE old-time StampWanters who can each name TWO of the different mascot proposals that I drew up back in 2008 based on your suggestions! (You aren't allowed to merely restate a mascot from a previous winning guess).

Just name two of the animals or characters that were suggested and drawn up! For each pair of winning mascot guesses you post here you'll win this FREE COVER (retail value: a smile) and I'll post the original images of the two mascots in your winning guess from all those years ago!

Guess early . . . guess often!

Good Luck!

. . . and you can check out our current cover offerings here: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/bennett-cachetoons

Comments

• 141 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited September 2017 5 LikesVote Down
    Just came across this old announcement 2009? I thought would be appropriate to post here as well...

1million
  • 2millionsold

I also just realized that in the same newsletter announcing the 1 Millionth Stamp Sold, we had a feature on voting for the StampWants Mascot, which included this image:
    sw_mascot2
  • Kurt ----- BINGO! Actually magnifying glasses and Sharpies were both part of the StampWants Transformer you suggested!!

SW Transformer

There was another funny non-animal one that I'm pretty sure you suggested!! Put on that thinking cap!
  • Congrats to all winners. Thank you, Dave. Felt like "Old Times".
  • In addition to the Inverted Jenny . .

Inverted Jenny

. . . someone also suggested an Inverted Monkey!

Inverted Monkey

-- wearing Fred Flintstone's suit, apparently! ???

• edited September 2017 2 LikesVote Down
    Oh man, you know I have to jump in with this one ...
    3millionsold[1]

Dianne was around for that special moment and once again, Mr. Roth bought it.

Who sold the 2 millionth stamp?
  • Let's start a local chapter of ARSE - the Asocial Recluse Society for Everyone!

I'll make the membership cards as long as nobody talks to me about them or expects anything from me.

Just leave me alone until I'm finished.
  • If you're a FDC collector and weren't able to get to AmeriCover 2017 in Cleveland this summer . . . or if you were there but unable to attend the Cachetmaker's Bourse. . . you missed seeing the new offerings from Bennett Cachetoons - from Sharks to Basketballs to YoYos!

But you can see them now here at our HipStamp store! Five fun covers at auction all starting at just $1.00 each! And there is never a charge for shipping!

Check 'em out!

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/bennett-cachetoons

18f83058b98cccca5392ed3aafcb78ee
  • Thank you, Dave. Not only for the cover but the memories. I miss the camaraderie, too. We had a lot of fun back then.
  • And congrats, Luree! That's awesome!
  • Yeah - Luree!!!!
  • "My next guess was going to be "moose & squirrel" (said in a Russian accent)! " OR

Boris & Natasha
  • I love the chatter today, it's just what I needed!

Moose and Squirrel, Boris and Natasha ... Mail from some flounder!
  • " Moose and Squirrel, Boris and Natasha ... Mail from some flounder! " :smiley: :smiley:

Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! . . . Oops! Wrong hat!
  • Luree -----

Since we're at Four Winners and there are still some unguessed mascots to reveal, I'm thinking I may broaden the winners' pool to SEVEN winners of the free shark cover!

And YES - at the end of the guessing I'll show a couple of 'group shots' of all the mascots. To the best of my memory, I think we voted on "Reggie the Raccoon" (or Phlat Stampley as he has come to be known) as the unofficial StampWants Mascot.

Maybe we should put a big blue mustache on him and call him the new unofficial HipStamp Forum Mascot! :smiley:

Hippie
  • edited August 2017 1 LikesVote Down
    How about this guy! Mr. Warthog was really me in disguise! 101451_Warthog_Doug_1
  • DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Yes! It was "Sholly Wallaby", for some reason, even though he sure looks like a Kangaroo to me! :smiley:

Sholly Wallaby

I'm so glad you made it here, Doug! You're our final winner!!

Congratulations to you, Jeri, Luree, Dave, Ted, Michael and Kurt!! The old gang comes through!

I'll post images of the other mascot suggestions sometime soon.

Thanks for playing, everybody!
  • As the curtain closes on this little exercise in memory, here are two 'group shots' that were done for the Mascot competition 9 years ago.

The first one was called "Round One Winners" (I guess there was no Round Two) when the 'cute' Inverted Jenny got the most votes.

Round One Winners

And the final picture was called "The Last Album Page", a fitting end to this nostalgic little entertainment!

Thanks for making it so much fun, everyone!

The Last Album Page
  • Oh, yeah! I'd forgotten about that!

Another fun little 'participatory' event we all enjoyed!!

Thanks for the memory, Mark!! :smiley:
  • Far out groovy trip down memory lane dudes (and dudettes).
  • edited September 2017 1 LikesVote Down
    Hey, Michael Roth, why don't you come on over to my store https://www.hipstamp.com/store/tatyszka-stamps and help get HipStamp to the next millionth milestone? LOL
  • Help! I know I need help when my mind goes to the same place as Ted's (the asocial recluse - it's redundant). Or, maybe Ted's finally seeing things my way - that's scary! :)
  • Dave Bennett: On Sept. 29, 2017 perhaps this is a good time to mention artist Roy Liechtenstein on the 20th anniversary of his death. He was a pioneering figure in the pop art movement of the 1960's. His 1962 painting "MASTERPIECE" which to me looked much like a comic strip sold for US $165- million this year which I have been told is the 10th highest price paid for a painting. Keep up the good work Dave.
  • Phlat Stampley

Phlat Stampley. Dave, you also had a cute airplane much like the "Inverted Jenny"
  • WINNER #1!!! PM me your address, Jeri, although I probably already have it saved somewhere.
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    Reggie Raccoon
    Phlat Stampley Final II_2
    Waving Jenny
  • I was around then, but I just don't have that kind of memory. Nevertheless, I support the sentiment about the long-lost camaraderie!
  • Did you draw the Bidstart girl?
  • I don't know if it was back then, but the blue kitty you drew for Dianne?

Or the mouse on the cover for the Traveling Mousepad Worldwide Tour?