Stamp Collecting Facebook Groups

I realize, or at least think, most of the people on this forum are sellers. Me, I'm just a collector. But I wanted to share my new discovery with you anyway. I started my own stamp collecting blog about a year ago with the idea of perhaps getting some interaction with other collectors. That didn't happen. But just the other day I learned about stamp collecting groups on Facebook. I joined two of them and began posting pictures of some of my stamps and pages and links to my blog. Wow! Talk about interaction! People liking my posts, reading my blog posts, and even asking stamp collecting related questions. Many say they inherited collections, or are simply getting into the hobby. Several times now I have had the opportunity to direct people, wanting to know where they can obtain stamps they are interested in, to Hipstamp. Personally, I think this is the best online resource for stamps and all things philatelic.

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • KoalaStamps has the very popular Facebook group 'I Love Philately':
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/koalastamps
  • John, yes many groups there and many are very informative and helpful to new collectors especially. and there is always cddstamps group.. https://www.facebook.com/cddstamps/?ref=bookmarks
  • Thanks for the referrals to these groups. I checked out them out. But McAfee security has red x on every link to cddstamps and blocks cddstamps website with a big red Woa! I don't think I will try to go there again. The description in koalastamps seems to be more restrictive in what they allow you to post than the two groups I am involved with now.
  • Right now the two groups I am having fun with are: https://www.facebook.com/groups/postagestampcollecting/ and STAMP COLLECTING at https://www.facebook.com/groups/19028887128/.
  • Michael, as I poke around on the forum I am seeing cddstamps mentioned...is that your personal web site? If so, why does McAfee Security lock access to it? Were you aware that it does that?
  • John, the only restriction at 'I Love Philately' is no promoting of sales of any kind. It is not a group for clogging up with sales and auctions which annoy many collectors who just want to share and learn.

I think you will find that is a condition for all the best Facebook groups - are you sure the same condition doesn't apply in the groups you joined?

For everyone wanting to sell something there is a separate group 'I Love Philately Market'.
  • John, thanks for follow up. re facebook, if that was what you were referring to I was not aware there was a restriction..maybe I gave wrong url.. try this one.. https://www.facebook.com/cddstamps/ it is an open group as far as I know ( and as I thought I set it up some years ago)

my web site is www.cddstamps.com . and that is just a web site with access to any and all. never had a problem with people accessing it as far as I know. Thanks...Michael
  • edited August 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    PS there is certainly no problem to access cddstamps.com I checked.. it is secure and very safe..we had a problem with some attack a few years back..but been fine for a long time . I am not sure what else to say... but I do know it is very safe.. sad to hear you think you will not go there again because that should not be the case and I do not want others reading that and believing it.... cddstamps.com web site is fine Best wishes Michael
  • Thanks for helping me with your comments and suggestions. I don't want to keep anyone from coming to your web site. I would never do that. Sorry if I left that impression. I just wanted to let you know what happened when I tried going there. Hope I didn't offend you. John
  • Rod, you may be right. The write up in the description made me think it was not for posting links to other web sites. I often post links to articles on my stamp collecting blog.
  • Thanks John. I've reworked the description so hopefully it is now clearer.
  • no offence taken.. I just wanted to clarify.. are you still getting the the security warning when trying to access www.cddstamps.com have you tried clearing cache? I am not sure if that would help but it concerns me that you are getting a security access warning because that should not happen, and perhaps it happens to others. although I cannot imagine why.
    Michael, yes, I am still getting a security block on your web site. Did try clearing cache. But still getting blocked. As a matter of fact when I view the status report it says it is a high risk! Sorry.
  • I suspect the issue is with Mcafee, there's nothing wrong with Michael's site.
  • Hey, John. He's refraining from blowing his own horn, but another HipStamp comrade, Doug Noernberg, runs a quite active Google Stamp Collecting Community https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112504400995702352943
  • Ted, Wow! That is one huge page! Three columns. Will check it out later. A bit overwhelming but nicely set up. Thanks for the link!
  • Thanks Rod for the comment. To all other readers,, there IS NOTHING WRONG with my website cddstamps.com, so please do not let that stop you from visiting cddstamps.com Commemorative Definitive Decimal stamps of GB and British Commonwealth - hey might as well try to get a plug in while I can :-) cheeky smile... :-)

John, I hope the matter can get sorted for you and one day you can enjoy visiting the site as well.

regards Michael
  • Please don't misunderstand. I mean you no harm or disrespect. Your web site might be fine. But I purchase McAfee security to keep me safe from viruses and such. I have to trust the service I purchase or it isn't worth anything to me at all. I don't know if anyone else that has McAfee on their computers has this issue with your site. But there must be a reason why McAfee has this warning on your site. May I suggest you contact them and find out why? Maybe others are having the same issue but have just not said anything to you. Just a suggestion. It might help your business in the long run.
  • John, I have contacted McAfee.. Am I correct in thinking you are in the US? Thanks Michael
    I still think the problem could be in Mcafee, for example there are bugs like this: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87977

'Action Taken' incorrectly reports 'Threat Intelligence Blocked' (when 'Would' and 'Allow' Endpoint Security Threat Prevention events occur)
    Technical Articles ID: KB87977
    Last Modified: 5/25/2017
    Environment
    McAfee Endpoint Security (ENS) Threat Intelligence 10.2.x, 10.1.x
    McAfee ENS Threat Prevention 10.2.x, 10.1.x
    Problem
    Action Taken incorrectly reports Threat Intelligence Blocked when Would and Allow ENS Threat Prevention events occur.

Example:
    Rule 153 results in event 35102; an Observe mode 'Would Allow' event is reported as Action Taken 'Blocked'.
    Cause
    ENS Threat Prevention event flow and categorization does not properly report these events.
    Solution
    This issue is resolved in ENS Threat Intelligence 10.2.2.
  • Thanks Rod. you are a star :-) if I hear back from McAfee ( not holding my breath :-) I will advise forum as well..
  • Thanks for this thread - it never occurred to me to look for facebook groups as I youtube more.
    I am a topical collector that restarted as an adult after reading Janet Klug's book. I friended her on facebook to thank her.

I checked out the Google + community & saw a link to "What is thermochromic ink" which i just recently saw in the description of Agatha Christie 2016 GB stamps.
  • I am interacting on Facebook in "Stamp Collecting" and "Postage Stamp Collecting" FB groups. It is so much fun talking with people from around the world about our stamps. Posting pictures of our collections and stamps, etc. This adds a whole new dimension to my hobby!