Listing Images

I'd like to see a requirement for sellers to include at least one image of the material being offered in each listing they post. If that requirement already exists, then I'd like to see it being enforced.

Comments

• 39 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • ....or be able to block out individual sellers during a search. :smile:
  • That would be nice, as well. However, I think there is something fundamentally wrong with a seller being able to create multiple listings for items with asking prices in the hundreds of dollars and not one of the listings includes an image of the item.
  • Despite trying it to do thrice the image did not surface on my listing, but when I took the cursor
    to image field in the listing, the enlarged image is shown partly.
    Can someone help ?
    I would be greateful for the help.
  • I just received an email from a HipStamp seller advertising a sale on all his stamps.

I went to his store to have a look . . . and of the 417 stamps in the category in which I was interested , there were only 3 images!!

.007%!

Sad!
  • Ebay has its faults but at least it requires a minimum of 1 image per listing...surely Hipstamp can do better.
  • My Thanks to Mr Bennett and Mr Tomisek for their comments,
    but I still wish that someone from hip would come forward to solve the issue.
  • Arun - it is usually the result of a problem when the image was created. First try renaming the image and see if it will load properly. If that doesn't work re-scan the image and it should work fine.
  • Arun, I have sometimes experienced that same situation. You can do as Carol suggests, or, to save a little time, instead of rescanning, simply open the original image in your image editor, make a minor change to it, like cropping a bit of the border, and resave the image. It will probably be okay.

Ted
  • Thanks Carol and Ted.
    It might indeed be helpful when you alter the image, I have already tried,
    rescaning.
  • Arun, I have had this problem a couple of times. It occured when creating a listing. I added an image to the listing, then before leaving that page, realised it was the wrong image, and then reloaded another image. Then the image only becomes visible when you put magnifier over it. The only solution is to change the image, rename it. Delete the listing entirely and start from scratch.
  • I have had the same problem. It's an annoyance to have to fix it, but replacing the image with a new one like other have said is the easy fix.

Just for future reference, management has repeatedly stated that they do not regularly review the postings in the Forum. To get immediate attention, always use the "Contact Us" feature found on every page.
  • My grateful thanks to both deborah and michael.
    Will try it and post the result on the forum.

Best Regards
    Arun Agarwal
  • This site is so hard to list your pictures of your stamps when you bulk load. They do not inform you how to do this task.
  • It is nice to see that there are sellers who are making an earnest effort to add images to their listings.

However, this post's original intent was to seek a Hipstamp policy decision that would require a minimum of one image depicting the item being offered for sale (or if such a requirement exists, to start enforcing it).

How many of us buyers would purchase an item, especially an expensive one, without having seen at least one image of it? I'd be interested in learning what percentage of items listed without images actually sell on Hipstamp.
  • And if that percentage is -0- than the seller is selling nothing. I just gloss over them - why do they bother people so much? Don't look, don't buy - the seller will get the message. How is that hurting anyone besides the seller ??
  • It would seem that it would be in Hipstamp's interest to require images in listings so that Buyers (who are most likely the primary revenue generator for the site) don't just gloss over those listings or, rather than wasting their time, simply stop looking and choose to frequent a different site.
  • I agree with Carol. The marketplace should, and will, determine what is required. The dealer alluded to above has over 77,000 feedback, and, in a few days' time, will likely get an additional 387 from me. The lack of images for 380 of these listings did not deter me in the least, because, 1), these were modern stamps from countries I know to be reliable in the quality of their stamp production, and 2), I have purchased from this dealer in the past, and hold him in the highest regard.

So, by all means, go ahead, be as pedantic (and spiteful) as you wish about how others should (or do) conduct their business. I am more than happy to fill hundreds of holes in my collection, at giveaway prices. Thank you, Mark N.
  • edited September 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    A
  • A free program "IfranView" (i not L) can downsize an image ,great if your image is too big for the site..For selling image is everything,back & front for $10+ items is a must.
  • Ted Tyszka

I agree that the marketplace will determine whether or not sellers who list without images will succeed;

However, I don't consider asking a seller on a site such as this to extend prospective buyers the courtesy of providing an image of the product being offered for sale as being pedantic; but you are entitled to your opinion (as am I) and I wish you continued success in your dealings with such sellers.

If Hipstamp opts to not impose such a rule on sellers, then let it give buyers the ability to block sellers whose listings the buyer chooses to ignore.
  • I agree with everything you say. However my use of the term "pedantic" was not in reference to anybody "asking" for dealers to provide images, but to a specific comment that dealers should not be allowed to list without images. I feel that is too onerous a burden for dealers with large inventories of low-catalog-value items (you know, the items so hard to find on other sites), who would then be compelled to forego listing those items due to the considerable extra time (= money) required for those extra steps.
  • Your point taken -- I understand the reasoning for not levying such a requirement for low value items.

My initial post was made because a seller (who I block from searches on ebay) had a number of Hipstamp listings with asking prices in excess of $300 that didn't include images.

At what price point has providing images become too onerous a burden for that seller? $750? $1,000? $1,500?

If Hipstamp management is willing to let sellers list however they choose then, at a minimum, give Hipstamp customers the ability to block sellers (and buyers) so that neither is wasting their time.
  • edited September 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    I elect to picture everything on hipstamp, but were I to go back to providing listings through Linns or the APS magazine then I would go back to providing a graded price list like the other dealers do on those venues for their cheaper materials.
  • I think that posting an item without an image is fine; if the buyers have the Choice to block that seller from the search.
  • Just came across this listing on the Mystic Stamp site:

mystic

I wonder how long this item will languish, unsold, before someone decides it needs one or the other (or both) an image or a few more words of description.

Ted
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/tatyszka-stamps
  • One of many Mystic offerings without images. Are you conducting an experiment with your Turkey offering? A quarter for two MNH stamps and free shipping is hard to pass up, even sight unseen.
  • Back in the Stampwants era , and into the Bidstart era, there was a Michigan dealer that only scanned higher price items, but all his listings carried that message that if the potential buyer wanted a scan, they would scan the item. I find the scanning is the limiting part of listing so I can understand why some items get listed without a scan.

Any one near London, Ontario want to scan for 10 cents an hour? If I want to hire someone I will soon have to pay $15.00 per hour, which works out to 25 cents a minute, and that doesn't include things like Canada Pension, Employment Insurance Premiums, Workman's Compensation, Health Insurance Premiums and I'm sure I missed a few costs that civil service types will tell me that go along with having employees.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/fatdanes-stamp-store
  • edited September 2017 2 LikesVote Down
    I picture everything I sell, however I generally do not sell anything below $10 because of the time and effort picture taking, listing time etc takes me the way I do it.

The value of various sellers selling different ways means that collectors with different collecting interests can find the stuff they like here. I sell a lot of mixtures and packets and only a certain segment of the collecting community likes them.

Because of the way I do things, people looking to buy an individual stamp from me for 25c won't find any. They will find them from others including folks who don't have pictures.

I certainly think there is a place for items with no pictures, as Ted mentions once one builds a relationship with a given dealer they know what to expect.

This site allows buyers to exclude sellers so sellers selling stuff one doesn't like can be excluded.

Unfortunately, if one asks 10 buyers what they like/expect, one is likely to get 10 different versions of how the site should be set up.....

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/roncarmichaelstamps
  • "This site allows buyers to exclude sellers so sellers selling stuff one doesn't like can be excluded."

If that is the case, please let me know how to do it as I've been unable to figure out how on my own.
  • Mystic will email you an image of the stamp(s), if you request it.