LOL

In one of the other Chatter threads Michael Generali uses the line "Old, worn out and overly used" for "L@@KS". I had no opinion on this prior to reading about it but note that the rules of HS are against its use as well. The term LOL confuses me. I know that the common acronym might be Lots of Laughs but we must remember that there are at least 90 definitions of this including "Little old Lady". In one of the entries in THE FORUM which seemed to respond to another female member there didn't seem to be any humour and I was confused was the writer calling her a Little Old Lady. Then there is "LOWEST OF THE LOW"; "LOCKS OF LOVE" (Lake Worth Florida, CHARITY; "liar of lies"; "lots of love"; for stamp dealers "LABOR OF LOVE"; "Lots of LUCK"; "LOYAL ORANGE LODGE", etc., etc. Some seem to use "LOL" where there is no sign of humour shown. I guess if you wanted to make a derogatory remark to someone "LOL" might be a way of doing it without being found out. 90 definitions give you a lot to chose from!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my neck of the woods. It is Laughing Out Loud.
  • But some of these threads in Forum leave me thinking it should be Last One Listing!
  • Wayne: Careful. You might make us laugh!
  • The beautiful young lady gets on the elevator of a business tower. A serious unsmiling business man is already on the elevator. After a floor or two she says TGIF and the man doesn't acknowledge her. After a couple of more floors she repeats TGIF and finally says Thank god its Friday. The unsmiling man looks at her and says S-H-I-T to the shocked girl.
    He knows that she didn't understand him so he says "Sorry Honey Its Thursday." LOL definition #33.
  • Just ran across "The 12 Meanings of LOL --- because it doesn't mean "laughing out loud" anymore by Katie Heaney on the web.
  • Have just visited Acronym Finders to submit a new stamp related LOL for their latest list of 113 plus 69 in their Acronym Attic. I gave Hip Stamps the credit for "Low Ordinary Listings" as found in the thread Questions under "Low Value Listings".
    LOL definition 114 or should that be 183?? Labour of Love LOL still rules for stamps.