Once In A While You Have a Day Like This

As an early Christmas present, one of my sons took me to the Comicon in Austin, TX, today. It is the first time I attended such an event. What did I do, besides walking about looking at the people in costume and checking out what vendor's were selling? I'll tell you. I had the chance to meet one-on-one with several people. Most notable, and the primary objective of my present was getting to meet Nichelle Nichols. What a sweet, wonderful lady she is! I also chatted with Charisma Carpenter, who was a hoot to talk to, and is a very down to earth person. I had a brief passing moment with Loni Anderson. She looks great, and has a wonderful smile! I saw several others, including Emma Caulfield and Summer Glau. I talked to a comedian (sorry I don't remember his name), and I had him laughing! I could have chatted with several more, but time was running down as my young grandsons were getting tired as they got stuck standing and waiting for over two hours for a delayed Power Ranger. Great fun, and it's fantastic that the celebrities will engage in normal, friendly conversation with you, and they don't rush you off. I need to go to another Comicon in the near future!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Stamp shows should bring in cool guests like these. I mean Loni Anderson probably has no less a connection with stamps than she does with comics.
  • Gary Burghoff (Radar O'Reilly on M•A•S•H) was a pretty well-known stamp collector, but he doesn't have quite the drawing power (or eye-appeal) of Loni Anderson! :wink:

That's pretty neat you got to meet and chat with all those people in one day, Michael! Any time I've been to a large comic convention the line was too long to meet any of the celebrities . . and even if you did, they asked for your $20, signed an 8x10 glossy photo of themselves, and hustled you along!
  • The only time I went to a con with celebrity appearances (San Diego Comic Con 1980), I got a selfie with Sybil Danning. But it was basically like Dave said, "Okay, you got your picture. Now run along." At least I wasn't charged for the picture.
  • Being this was my first, I had no expectations. However, I did think that it would not be possible to talk to the celebrities like that. It's not like I came in to occupy their time. I saw the celebrities engage with anyone who came over to them whether the person was getting an autograph or not. Their handlers were great to talk to as well. Often the celebrities left their tables and walked out into the crowd to get a picture taken of them with someone who was wearing an awesome costume. The actor who plays the green Power Ranger, I don't know his name, had a huge crowd waiting for his autograph. He talked with everyone as they came up to him, joked a bit with some, and he let everyone take a picture together with him. It was a very laid-back atmosphere. When I was talking with a celebrity, if someone came up to get an autograph, I would stand aside. When they left, we resumed our conversation. It was an awesome day!
  • That sounds like so much fun! So next year are you going as Stamp Flatley? Or as a Lumber Jack?