SolvedEditing title of existing listing to include catalog#

edited April 2016 in Bugs 0 LikesVote Down
About 36 hours back I edited the title of an existing listing to include its Scott catalog number, but so far the listing is not showing up in the Catalog, catalog# search, or country/catalog sort.

Title before : Tonga 1886 SG2 2d King George I MH
Title after: Tonga 1886 SG2 Sc#2 2d King George I MH

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • At the moment, if you search by Country / Catalog Number - what's used is the Country / Catalog Number fields associated with the listing. When we initially import an item, we'll try to use the data from the title to pre-populate those fields. However, if you update the Title it wouldn't change the Country / Catalog Number fields - unless you yourself change them.

At the moment, the system isn't designed to handle multiple Catalog Numbers per item, or two different Catalog Numbers representing the same item. So you can currently enter in the Scott Number, and it will come up for Scott Number results, or the SG number, and it would come up for SG Number results.

I'll push addressing this type of listing (with both Scott and SG number) up in our priorities list, as we have quite a few International sellers now.
  • Thanks Mark.
  • Mark said: "I'll push addressing this type of listing (with both Scott and SG number) up in our priorities list, as we have quite a few International sellers now."

Hi Mark, so, 9 months on, I was wondering if support for multiple Catalog numbers per item is close now? I'm anxious to implement this to turbo boost my sales on HipStamp.

Thanks, Rod
  • edited January 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    We have supported multiple Catalog Numbers per item for many months now. When you create a listing, within the Catalog Number field, you can enter any amount of Catalog Numbers by separating each with a comma (this is noted on the Sell Your Item page, as well as the Bulk Lister. If you are not using the Scott Catalog, just preface your Catalog Number with the Catalog Abbreviation.

You can use this option if your listing has multiple stamps within it, or if you want to provide different Catalog Numbers from different Catalogs for the same item. For example, for a United States Scott 1, you could enter in the Catalog Number field: 1,SG2 to enter in both the Scott and Stanley Gibbons Catalog number.

The long-term goal is to have this happen automatically, such that you would only need to enter in one specific Catalog, and we'll add additional Catalogs for your items within search results - but this is not something we will be getting to in the near-term.

One item to note is that if you are interested in adding this information to your own items, you would need to enter this information in the Catalog Number field - as we can not necessarily extract this information from the titles of your items alone, as it would get quite complicated to know which Catalog Number was which in this context.
    Hi Mark, thanks for the update, this is promising, but unfortunately it's not working for items uploaded using the Bulk Lister (when the Catalog Number is populated from the Item Title), and presumably eBay sync. Please see the attached snapshot from an item I uploaded.

Notice that only the Scott number has been included in the Catalog Number field. (Could you also consider widening this so that more than one Catalog number can be seen, thanks).

From your last paragraph, are you're saying that when parsing the Item Description, you don't intend to populate the Catalog Number field with multiples, just the first instance, because it's 'complicated'? Ummhh, I don't understand :(

As you know all my store items on HipStamp are eBay synced so I hope you are able to address this for me. Most appreciated, Rod
    mult
    Rod,

When listing on HipStamp, as well as using the Bulk Lister, we provide a specific field for Catalog Number - which you can fill out accordingly. If you're using an external site to import listings, such as ebay, we will do our best to automatically extract this information from item titles - including multiple catalog numbers. However, extracting multiple catalog numbers across multiple different catalogs (ie: Scott and Stanley Gibbons) is a little more difficult.

However, I believe it should still work if you enter your Title such as:

#L37,SG37

as opposed to #L37,SG#37

Give that a try.
  • Thank you Mark, worked perfectly. So, no hash in the SG number, and the Scott number must be first. This should keep me out of trouble for a few weeks while I update all my listing titles :)
This discussion has been closed.