Stamps and Royalty

The current Canadian Monarch is QE II and I also lived under the reign of King George VI. I bring this up due to the engagement, announced today, of the dashing Prince Harry to the beautiful American actress Meghan Markle. Toronto attracts many beautiful women and Harry has courted Meghan in Toronto (Where she lived for a number of years.). Prince Harry is currently 5th in line to the throne but with another birth among Royalty he will soon be 6th in line. In February of 1948 Canada commemorated the wedding of Princess Elizabeth to Philip Mountbatten Prince of Greece and Denmark (See Scott Canada #276) and I have often wondered why Philip was not on that stamp.It would not be until Oct./1951 that the then Duchess and Duke of Edinburgh appeared together on a Canadian stamp. More logical to explain why she appears alone on a Canadian stamp can be found on #330 the Coronation stamp or on the definitives. This days announcement of the engagement, with pictures of the charming couple has spelled gold for a North York, Canada designer "LINE"
for the white coat she was wearing (The coat will now be called the Markle). The companies website crashed and the roughly $750. coat is quickly selling out. Prince Harrys mother Princess Diana is also remembered. The engagement ring is made up with three stones from her collection with a gold band! One might think that world wide post offices might make a few bucks with some timely issues featuring the
handsome couple. The Royal Wedding will be held in Spring of 2018. John Talman

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The coat may now be called the Meghan - Not sure if she will get any royalties on either name (Not a pun!). Perhaps we need a new listing for coats now?
  • Hell, I thought she was Canadian, but no, from the mean streets of LA with a white father and black mother! The British press is going crazy. Talman, you did not tell us the good stuff.

I do like Harry and all the English royalty. The new princess looks good, too.

• John Fields: I hoped to save the best for last but the best is still coming with this the last British Royal Wedding for probably a long time. May should be a great month for such a Wedding and remember the engagement ring designed by Prince Harry is only worth $85,000. This beauty came from a nice home in California and wonderful parents with the father holding a nice job. Her co-star on Suits filmed in Toronto is said to have twittered "I thought she was only going out for milk." Since Harry may be considered about 6th in line for the throne the Royal rules could be more flexible for Harry than they were for the Queen"s sister. Love is grand and they sure look in love. Lets all wish them a glorious future together and I think they will both work together to make the world a better place.
  • Goodness, Talman, you old anglophile, you are into this!
  • John Fields: Long Live The Queen!
  • I doubt there have been more stamps issued for any living human being than have been issued for the present Queen Elizabeth II. The second year of "The Crown" on Netflix is now out and if you like history and great acting and theatre then I would suggest you take a look and watch it now. The British Monarchy also holds one of the most valuable stamp collections every put together by anyone and pay people to look after it and even add to it. They have duplicates and have arranged for trades to add to that collection. The Queen seems to take an interest in this hobby and in 1980 I recall her walking thru the exhibits at the London show at that time. Probably within 20 feet of me as I mentioned in another thread. Edward had to abdicate when he married an American divorcee but things are different today but then again Harry seems fairly far away from the throne at the present time. Perhaps those who deal in modern stamps could tell me if Meghan has appeared on a stamps from any country yet. I doubt we will have to wait long if she isn't already on one.