Inheritance Lost With Courier

A recent CBC news item has come to my attention and it may have some relevance for buyers and sellers at Hip. One of the heirs decide that the $846,000+ from his fathers estate should be shipped to him via UPS in Ontario, Canada. TD Canada Trust advised that a bank draft was the appropriate method for that amount of money. Shipped via UPS in February/2017 the draft has still not been delivered. UPS has refunded the $32. charge for the shipment but feel they have no further obligation. The bank still has the money in an account but won't issue a new draft until the heirs sign a what seems to them an unreasonable guarantee for life with a lien on their house should the draft ever be cashed somehow. Ten months have gone by and still no resolution to this as of yesterday. Just thought I would give you a warm feelin about your shipment of payments or goods over the holiday period. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. John Talman

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Perhaps....and I do not know what really happened. I feel if the heirs get the money in hand then why worry about someone else cashing a lost bank draft made out to another party. This story may need further details.
  • Large sums of money almost always change hands by wire transfer, even cross border - there must be a bit more to the story
  • John Fields a couple of people I regularly deal with phoned me and told me they had used the heading I used for this thread to get more of the story. They used Google and just typed in "Inheritance Lost With Courier" for much more of the story. Perhaps you should do the same if you want a larger story. The entire story is lengthy and I only wanted to inform buyers and sellers on Hip Stamps of possible pitfalls in using a courier which is normally quite reliable. You may have missed the point, mentioned in my start, that the bank did not want to release the money during that ten months period due to a fear of liability due to someone somehow being able to cash the original draft for the $800.000.+ The bank even wanted a lien on future generations I understand from the news I heard. More news has come out this evening and I understand the bank may have tried to come up with a new agreement to safeguard the bank. Hopefully this will be okay with the heirs. Try to remain Jolly at this time of year! HO.HO.HO.
  • Carol: Obviously these people did not use a wire transfer. People who deal in cash (Not in this case,) may not use a wire transfer and then of course there is bitcoin. You can probably find the full story of this lost packet on the internet. My warning to HS wasn't only for the transfer of money but also might be of interest for other shipments as well. Merry Christmas.
  • Are Nigerians involved? Heh, heh....

I googled it and found the banks side of the mess missing. One thing- a "packet" went missing and a "courier" was used; what is this all about? Not covered by google.

Probably there is often a back story, and I suspect there is one here.
  • John Fields: As mentioned at start of this thread this was a CBC story and you can find CBC on the internet (Canadian
    Broadcasting Corporation) but just try CBC. The story is featured as one of their top stories even showing a picture of a couple of the family. People transfer money in many ways these days, some with better results than others. On Sept. 27, 2013, thats right, 2013 George Clooney invited 14 of his closest friends (all men) for dinner. When they arrived they found black designer cases at each table setting each filled with a million dollars in $20. bills. Sounds heavy but I don't think any got left behind. He felt he owed it to them as he wouldn't be where he was without all his old friends.
  • Well, JHT, I'll remain the skeptic and feel there is more to this little story. As for G Clooney, were taxes paid on that million? One can only gift $13K tax-free per year per individual.
  • edited December 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    John Fields: I am a Canadian and don't usually check on the taxes paid by anyone in the USA or even in Canada. If you think hard you might figure out a couple of reasons why a man or woman might not want money transferred in to their regular account in any country. The ones I can think of probably don't apply in this case. Read the story if you are capable of finding it or ask a friend to get it for you. Its an interesting story well worth a read. By the way its not a little story, they have had it on the radio and tv news and on the internet. Trying to get some photos ready for an auction catalogue so must close.
  • TD Canada Trust has backed down and apologized to a Ontario family and released more than $846,000 after CBC reported that their original bank draft had been lost by UPS. Sent via UPS in February the shipment has never shown up.
    You should be able to find the full story by searching the internet with the heading on this thread.
  • edited December 2017 1 LikesVote Down
    Studied the various threads and wasn't sure where to put these comments. One thread talks about the US Postal Site going downhill. others mention various thought on protecting a shipment. This made me think of the Hope Diamond not the most valuable diamond in the world but certainly up there. Insured for $250 Million but apparently valued for US$350 Million. The famous jeweller Harry Winston bought this in 1949 and as you may know he donated it to the Smithsonian where I think it still is. The beautiful blue diamond from India. How did Harry ship it there - I understand he used the US Postal service and it got there as we all know. This thread dealt with a lost shipment so thought these thoughts might fit in. Merry Christmas and if you have any excess diamons please get them to me,
  • That bank sure got plenty of negative publicity. I once received a $100K insurance payment from Northwestern Life by USPS, first class and unregistered. I questioned this; NWL said they did it all the time.
  • edited December 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    John Fields: Great to hear of your windfall the first of many you have had over the years, I am sure. Shows that large payments may often be shipped this way as NWL said they do it all the time. I also mentioned above that people with excess diamonds might send them this way meaning shipped to me.. In thinking about your message I should also have mentioned excess cash being sent this way. Hint, Hint John and a Merry Christmas to you and everyone. John Talman
  • John Fields, Fortunately, there are several ways to gift more than $13K without any of it being robbed by government via coercive taxation--a massive act of legalized theft, but theft nonetheless.