Plate # and Zip Singles

I enjoy collecting Plate Number singles and Zip singles. Prices are generally all over the place - one dealer may have it at MNH price and another MNH plus anywhere from 5 cents to 25 cents. Is there any average, guideline, or other means to value one of these. Like single MNH value plus ten cents or ten percent? I would very much appreciate any dealers opinion on valuing these stamps. Thank you in advance for your opinion.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am not really certain that there is any more disparity in pricing between dealers than in pricing MNH stamps.

For normal 3 cent to 15 cent face value or so I price NH singles at 25 cents and H singles at 15 cents regardless of "MNH" pricing level. Common 1 and 2 cent stamps generally at 15 cents NH depending on the value of plate blocks. Obviously singles with a face value of around 20 cents or more are priced higher...

There is no magic formula - I seem to sell a high percentage of the ones I list so it seems to work for my customers.
  • Thanks for the feedback Carol. Can you tell me the name of your store?
  • Not certain iif we are supposed to self-promote but we can have a "signature" . Please remove if I was not supposed to do this,

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/webpaper

• If you are serious about building a plate number single collection, I recommend that you obtain a copy of The Durland Standard Plate Number Catalog. You can find a recent edition online at the typical book and auction venues. The catalogue gives values for each plate number within an issue in much the same way that Scott provides values for mint and used plate number coils (PNCs). Although you should not expect to sell or buy stamps at these values (stamps typically sell at a discount from catalogue vale) they provide an easy way to distinguish common plate numbers from the more difficult to obtain plate numbers. I've also found the Durland catalogue a valuable resource in distinguishing wet vs dry plate numbers, etc. Happy hunting. This is one of those areas of stamp collecting like precancels and perfins that add extra enjoyment to the hobby