So, what is HipStamp to do about new USPS rates?

Comments

• Wayne, to answer your question, I am using ShippingEasy. The packages have been taking about 2 weeks to get to their destinations, but it is cheaper than the rate directly from the USPS.
  • Banishment? We're talking a slippery slope here. Where does it end? Do we only banish people for "supposedly" violating rules that we don't like? I say supposedly because you can't assume every seller who has a low International shipping rate is breaking the law.

I disagree Mark should get involved. If he chose to send out an FYI at the time this was being proposed, fine. It's a sellers responsibility to be aware of laws, rules, regulations, etc. How many sellers sent emails "To the powers that be" when this was being proposed and comments were requested?

Do you want Mark to banish all sellers who list stamps from sanctioned countries? From what I can tell everyone seems happy with how that situation is handled. And, yes, selling stamps from these countries is a violation of Federal law.

So before we start throwing around words like "banishment", etc. let's all take a hard look at how we conduct our own affairs. You can't have it both ways!

• I just think an FYI would be appropriate pointing dealers to the new rules on shipping merchandise internationally. This new method of shipping is a completely new way of shipping that, unless you love to study USPS shipping minutiae, very few people would even have noticed in the new rates. Heck, even many postal employees were very confused about what was going on.
  • It's not rocket science. I found out about the change by trying to print a customs form on PayPal. It wouldn't let me based on the info I put in, being intrepid I went to the USPS site and found out the same by calculating a price. As a final last ditch effort I went to my local (tiny) post office and the clerk put the envelope on the scale and asked the questions that the screen showed - guess what - the same answer.
    Several posts here show that people KNOW about it. They are just ignoring it. If they indeed are, they are ignoring it they are also ignoring the rules of the site. I agree with Michael, it's a question of honesty and ethics. It's funny how they fly out the window when money is involved.
  • Well maybe not banishment ......but a good hard spanking?
  • No invoice, hand written address on the envelope, invoice by email..and sadly we sellers have to have no refund listed.
    15.99 to send a stamp to Englang?? Ain't happening, 0.50 cents and a no 10 envelope..done
  • Lee ... your apparently don't send any mail to England. The rate for a letter is $1.15 not 50 cents.
  • My fault, I charge 0.50 for USA and $2.00 for england not 'englang'. Thumbs to big.
  • I had a customer in Sweden buy a $10 stamp on May 21st. About 2 weeks later I got a message about the status. When I looked up the tracking it was still showing in the Lyndenhurst NJ facility (still showing that today). I asked the buyer get back to me in about a week which he did. He said he got contacted by customs and they want him to pay 97 SKR customs on the item. That's more than $10. Obviously, he is not a happy camper.

Since the rule change, I have mailed about 20 international orders. This is the first one that has had customs issues.

I also agree, it is not fair that some (most) sellers are either not aware of the rule change or worse, ignoring it. It really creates an unfair advantage. I'm sure this customer will never buy from me again.

Bob
  • Holy crap! $13.59 duty. And I thought the US govt was bad.
  • Bob, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I know I've probably lost a few sales from the change. But I don't want any trouble so we charge what we have to and go on with life. What a pity this has to hinder a wonder hobby.
  • edited June 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    Mark,

How are you going to handle feed back due to the new postage rates? For those that are charging the USPS rates are you going to do something about any neutral or negative feedback received due to this? Should a seller that is trying to obey the laws be penalized just because some other sellers either do not know or REFUSE to obey the laws? And how is it going to look if you choose to do nothing about it? How will that reflect on Hipstamp? I would think that after almost 6 months that by now there should be a policy in place to handle this.
  • Jeri said this

I disagree Mark should get involved. If he chose to send out an FYI at the time this was being proposed, fine. It's a sellers responsibility to be aware of laws, rules, regulations, etc. How many sellers sent emails "To the powers that be" when this was being proposed and comments were requested?

That is a yes and no do due to certain factors that are not being addressed by Mark who has set the fees,which should I need to remind you we are charged fees on the SHIPPING ALSO. Do you think that it is right for the sellers that are trying to abide by the laws and charging the actual postage rate should have to continue to have to explain this to their buyers,have to deal with possible neutral and negative feedbacks and not only that pay more fees on their shipping and handling on top of that? Once Mark started charging fees on the shipping and handling he became involved with that aspect of Hipstamp. So by virtue of that aspect he should be more proactive in handling this as he is already involved in it and he is receiving compensation on the shipping and handling.
  • There is also other factor that has not been mentioned and that is the fact that when you send mail that you do not send by the correct method and without the correct postage that is POSTAGE FRAUD. That also is illegal.
  • "For those that are charging the USPS rates are you going to do something about any neutral or negative feedback received due to this?"

I don't know -- would a buyer who can clearly see the shipping amount he is being charged for a purchase, leave negative feedback for something he accepted when he committed to buy?

Complaining and admitting it in a feedback kind of shows the buyer's ignorance, doesn't it? Has any seller actually encountered this situation?

:neutral:
    I just got 5 neutrals on this back on the 23th. (I just happened to check it this morning) I don't have a per item surcharge and they could see also see the amount of postage that was attached to the package. (I still use postage stamps on all the packages)
  • That's atrocious! What did the text of their feedbacks say?
    This is what she posted for feedback

Excellent items but excessive postage costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What wasn't thought of is because of the huge difference between first class letter rate and the first class parcel rate,it make the seller that is using the first class parcel rate look like they are charging excessive rates in COMPARISON to those who are still using the first class letter rate. But if you compare their rates to the actual postage costs for first class parcels they would be in line with those rates.

It's no longer an apple to apple comparison on the shipping rates. It's an apple to orange comparison.
  • When sellers start getting that kind of feedback things are getting out of hand. I don't mind the email reqesting a cancellation along with often nasty words about my shipping costs. Well...I do mind.

What I REALLY mind is other sellers telling their customers that stamps are exempt from customs and can be mailed cheaply. I do mind that there are those of us who try to follow the law and still offer an inexpensive and quality product who are forced out of the overseas market.

I agree with Michael, it's time for management to get involved somehow. Unfortunately, I fear it is too late. Compared to Michael, I have a tiny store. Losing 20% of my business is a huge - possibly fatal - blow. Alas, I fear that I will be forced into writing off that 20% and dither along somehow.
  • With regards to feedback, we do not allow buyers to leave neutral or negative feedback against a Seller for items which are clearly stated within the listing, which applies to shipping as well, as the buyer is made aware of this information before they choose to complete their purchase (see our "Feedback Policies" in our Terms for more details). As such, I have gone ahead and removed the feedback in question.
  • Just as these changes in international mailing requirements and rates have taken sellers aback, so too the occasional buyers whom have not been made aware of those changes now placing orders mistakingly supposing previous costs are still operative. Yes, it is incumbent on buyers to review and agree to their purchases, yet two elements still may cause a buyer to neglect cost confirmation. Firstly, our listings don't typically reflect shipping costs in the descriptions such as Ebay one's commonly do, but require the buyer to click to verify such. And secondly, they may be trusting HipStamp's policy of not permitting sellers to charge out-of-line shipping costs. As I have mentioned, additionally, past purchases may contribute to a false sense of projected mailing fees. A partial remedy might be in the form of notification in descriptions of the order "NEW INTERNATIONALLY-REQUIRED MAILING RATES" (so as to also distinguish from inferred seller-benefiting hidden fees). As for sellers, acquiring and/or using discount postage can mitigate some of the increase. Unfortunately the material available in this context is often of lower denomination ( 3c - 15c) so as to render it's practical use rather limited. One can only hope for some reconsideration of the unintended impact by postal authorities and subsequent adjustments addressing our concerns.
  • Jeri said this

Do you want Mark to banish all sellers who list stamps from sanctioned countries? From what I can tell everyone seems happy with how that situation is handled. And, yes, selling stamps from these countries is a violation of Federal law.

I finally figured out what was bothering me about this comment. This again is an apple to orange comparison. The biggest problem with this whole thing is that it was Paypal that was locking accounts because they took a broad based policy against listing certain countries. Fact is Cuba stamps printed before 1962 are LEGAL to sell. Paypal went and BLOCKED all items from Cuba both legal items and illegal items. (As far as some of the other countries it is possible that they too have some of the restrictions as to what is legal and what is illegal to sell and export. That would be up to the seller to know that) The only thing that was done was away to get around Paypal's policy about the stamps that are LEGAL to sell but against Paypal policy. Now you can still list them and sell them legally under Federal law but if Paypal should catch you they can suspend your account for going against their policies. Going against Paypal policies DOES NOT mean that
    one is breaking the law. (Now if the seller is selling items that are illegal to sell under federal law that is that seller's issue)

• As warning to the wise if you should get caught using the wrong classification of mail to get around the cost,they can go back and charge you for ALL the postage due, fine you and depending on the amount it could also mean jail time. You need to keep the postal receipts with the customs form numbers for 5 years as they can go back on this that long.

And this also should be needless to say as we all are on an internet site in which all the sales are DOCUMENTED by both Hipstamp and Paypal as to whom and WHERE those sales are going.

Just for kicks and giggles if you ship out 20 international orders per month at $2 per envelope which on average is about $11 per shipment difference. That's $200 a month. Over 5 years that comes to $12,000. Are you really sure you want a postal inspector coming to your door,going through your records and handing you a bill for that $12,000 plus fines?

Like I said it's just a word of warning to the wise.
  • Awww Michael, I'll never get caught.
    Excuse me, someone knocking on my door........

Whatever happened to "It's the right thing to do"? That's what the APS, ASDA and IPDA say. They can't ALL be wrong.
  • Wayne,

As long as one follows the rules there's no need to be worried about being caught. (I have seen people who have gotten caught doing that type of thing on lesser amounts and one was a postmaster so......)

Any time money is involved ethics often go out the window.

As long as it's the right thing for me who cares how it affects someone else.
  • Dave said this

Complaining and admitting it in a feedback kind of shows the buyer's ignorance, doesn't it? Has any seller actually encountered this situation?

Buyer number 2 in a little less than a week.
  • Just saw this on Paypal when clicking on create shipping label.

USPS Terms and conditions
    I will comply with all laws and regulations applicable to USPS services, including, without limitation, the provisions of the Domestic Mail Manual and the International Mail Manual.
    I don’t owe any money to USPS and am not a controlling member or officer of an entity that owes money to USPS.
    I authorize PayPal to share my personal information with USPS and such other information retained by PayPal that may enable USPS to collect the debts owed.

I acknowledge and agree to these terms and conditions.

• > . . . I don’t owe any money to USPS . . . <

What is that about?? Is that an admonition for people who have stolen stamps to come clean??
  • I'm thinking that it has to do with these 2 items as this was recently added within the last month

USPS Terms and conditions
    I will comply with all laws and regulations applicable to USPS services, including, without limitation, the provisions of the Domestic Mail Manual and the International Mail Manual.

I authorize PayPal to share my personal information with USPS and such other information retained by PayPal that may enable USPS to collect the debts owed.

It simply means the USPS is aware of the fact that people are going around the new regulations and Paypal will not cover their butts.
  • I think this may have something to do with a new arrangement that eBay has with the USPS. Basically, using eBay labels, if an eBay seller understates the weight of a package, and the USPS detects that, the USPS will charge the seller the difference after the fact. I suspect that PayPal's user agreement had to be modified to allow for this.

(There is an upside for eBay sellers as well. If a seller overstated the weight and hence overpaid the postage, if detected by the USPS, they will refund the difference. (I have heard of sellers who did get a refund.))

Another interesting aspect: I understand that throughout USPS' automated package sorting machinery, packages are both automatically scanned and weighed. So there are several data collection points that the USPS can use to determine package weight.

Also, this helps with buyer fraud, where a buyer claims a package arrives but the merchandise inside is short or missing. The USPS can now review to determine if the package weight changed anywhere along the pipeline. If it didn't, then the USPS knows that either they perhaps have a problem with the carrier or with the recipient, and they can detect patterns of either.