So, what is HipStamp to do about new USPS rates?

Comments

• And you are breaking the law.
  • "I mail international sales by regular USPS postal rates."

That is fine as long as you know you are violating Federal law.
  • Bob:
    The point of this thread is that letters can not contain any items of commercial value like a purchase of stamps on HipStamp!
    Mike
  • Noteworthy is the following quote:

"We received one set of comments, requesting that the Postal Service clearly define the difference between documents and merchandise and also requesting that we continue to permit “goods of nominal value” in First-Class Mail International. As we move forward with this initiative, with the anticipated effective date of January 21, 2018, to fulfill our commitments under the Universal Postal Union (UPU) Acts, we are clearly defining the difference between documents and merchandise in our revisions to the International Mail Manual; however, we are unable to continue to permit “goods of nominal value” sent by known mailers in First-Class Mail International items because, to be consistent with the UPU requirements, we must eliminate goods of any kind from First-Class Mail International letters and flats."

Reference:
    https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/10/24/2017-22749/international-mailing-services-proposed-product-and-price-changes-cpi
  • I'm trying to find out if shippingeasy.com is still going to offer their service using the forwarding consolidator. I can only find the rates going through USPS directly all the way. If anybody knows what is going on, please let us know. Otherwise, I'll have to alter my fee structure dramatically.
  • I am so tired of customers berating me because I follow the rules of mailing stamps (which are classified as documents, ergo they are classified as International Packages) and therefore a customs label is needed so Customs does not confiscate the envelope and I don't run the chance of being given a big fine. Why do the buyers feel they can berate sellers for doing the right thing? I'm getting close to stopping International selling because they are rude and not very healthy and suck the fun out of stamping. For those of you that want to mail said documents (stamps) at the Letter rate, go ahead, but the rules have been stated and some of us follow them.

Okay, I'm off my soap box. But the question is still why do buyers feel they have to berate sellers for following the rules?
  • I totally agree with Luree. That's why I have virtually given up selling Stamps on Hipstamp and just concentrate on selling first day covers and use the site as a shop window.

I quickly discovered while selling on here that the majority of buyers don't want to pay expensive (in their eyes) postage/shipping so as an overseas seller you are facing an uphill battle to sell anything? However on ebay buyers (perhaps because of buyer/seller protection?) are quite prepared to pay £7-£8 for tracked international postage?

I don't know what will happen now on this site? I hate to use the word "cheap" but it seems like for so long buyers have benefited from being able to buy cheap stamps with cheap postage/shipping. Well I'm sorry chaps those days have come to an end and now it is time to join the real world and have to put up with charges that others have been paying for years. On ebay I block buyers who demand unsecure cheap international postage and who berate me for not offering it, after all I'm the one taking the risk. As Luree states, the rules have now changed and it's up to each individual seller to decide if they want to operate within the law or take a chance and work outside it with the possible consequences that may follow if they are caught out.
  • I do thank you all for pointing out, and I plead complete ignorance, that I have been doing it wrong all along. It never occured to me that mailing a stamp across international boundaries was any different from mailing a letter. I will have to evaluate my shipping policy here and on Ebay (I do prefer their Global Shipping System).
  • So, what will the cost be to send 1 item (stamp) to Europe? Capture
  • "Why do the buyers feel they can berate sellers for doing the right thing?"

Because too many other sellers are violating the law and doing the wrong thing.
  • edited January 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    There are a lot more sellers that buyers that visit the forums, I think, and that's one reason they berate sellers, because they just don't know that sellers are doing what they have to do. Me, I sell only to the US and Canada and I think I am probably going to drop Canada. I hardly ever have any Canada sales, .
    For things that are packages and things I mail as packages anyway to get a tracking number, the post office charges a minimum of $3.75. and few of my packages are at that price because of their weight. I've been charging my buyers $2.50
    for this and writing off the rest of the cost. Now, with the zones coming into play, I don't know precisely what my average will be but it will hardly ever be the cheapest rates so I'm setting a baseline of $4.50, so I will charge my buyers $3.50. Does that sound reasonable? I'm considering doing $3.25/

Would it be a good idea and possible that Hipstamp could send out a general letter sitewide so everybody knows the score? I plan on contacting people that have bought package-level stuff from me and let them know why the postage is increasing.

Depending on your volume this might a good time to consider stocking up on forever stamps. Their value will increase by 10%. Probably everybody knows that already. Hey, 10% is 10%. $1.00 will be $1.10. I see sales here at 10% off. I'm waiting on the new year sheet, which comes out on the 17th. Between now and then I'm taking inventory and deciding how much postage I already have. Like I mentioned I bought a small estate not too long ago and I have plenty of postage but I don't think I'll get my money back on it. So in a way I'm selling the postage I got at a rate of $3.75 for $2.50

But I'm having fun and that's really why I'm here.
  • "So, what will the cost be to send 1 item (stamp) to Europe? "

Bob,

Go to USPS.com and go to the rate chart. Enter the country you are sending to. It will first ask you when you are sending the package because of the impending rate change. IIt will ask you the value of the item. Let's say $1.00. It will ask you the weight of the item. Let's say 2 oz. It will ask you what you are sending (letter, flat , package, etc). There is a check bos if you are only sending documents - make sure it is not checked. If you select letter or flat it will tell you no service available. You have to select package. It will come up with a number around $12 to $15. And don't forget you have to fill out a customs form regardless of value.
  • edited January 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    Just a reminder, we recommend ShippingEasy for International Shipments from the US, per my earlier post (see below). We have since used this service ourselves to send hundreds of International Shipments for $4.79 each (with tracking, and customs forms automatically handled), and have not had a single issue.

"As a Seller, you may want to check out ShippingEasy.com

Similar to Stamps.com, they offer a new service, for International Flats - Merchandise, which starts at $4.79:
    https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005917963-USPS-discontinues-service-for-First-Class-Mail-Int-l-Flats-on-Jan-21-2018

However, unlike Stamps.com, you can create a Basic Account for free, which allows you to create up to 50 shipments per month. I haven't use this service before personally, but it certainly looks worth checking out further."
  • edited January 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    If you have any of the "second ounce" forever stamps (face value currently 21 cents, you should use them up. Starting January 27, 2019, they will drop in face value from 21 cents to 15 cents. Similarly, if you have any of those third ounce stamps, they will drop in face value by 12 cents, so use them up too.

USPS postage for a first class international parcel to Europe (western Europe) up to 8 ounces costs $14.00 now, and will be $14.25 starting January 27, not including any extra services.
  • I wonder what the new ShippingEasy rates will be after the Jan. 27 pricing changes for USPS? I have gone all over that site and only see news/articles pertaining to domestic shipping rate changes.
  • Wow, Michael, good point about the additional ounce rate stamps. I have a roll king penguins that will be sitting a long while. No way I could use them all. For so long, additional ounce and non-mailable surcharge have been the same cost, and I have used the stamps interchangeably. Will now have to pay more attention! Seventy cents for non-mailable surcharge now. Oy vey!
  • edited January 2019 2 LikesVote Down
    Mark, getting back to the theme of "What can Hipstamps do?". If we are not going to sanction misbehaving sellers or educate consumers, or other stuff like that, how about allowing an option for a minimum purchase value for international sales? I never like the idea of setting minimum purchase values, but I for one would be willing to lower shipping/handling charges and "eat" some more of the cost of international shipping if I could guarantee the size of the order was large enough to not take a total bath. What say you?

I'll also reiterate that I think Hipstamp charging fees on the S/H charges is wrong and counterproductive and drives S/H charges even higher to compensate, exacerbating all of these problems we're talking about. Just sayin'.

Example... in December, I sold a single minimum value stamp to a buyer in Canada. Their price was 9 cents. Why they paid so much S/H is their prerogative, but Hipstamp charged me 51 cents fee for that transaction. My current international shipping rate to Canada is $6.25, which usually put me at a loss when I only count (postage+HS Fee+PayPal fee). I might even be able to lower that quite a bit if I didn't have to cover the fee on the S/H every time, too. That would be better for your non-US buyers.
  • As a Californian against comments decrying such charges, I become a fee fie foe fum San Diego......groan
  • I may be confused (and for those of you who know me, you *know* that's definitely the case!), but I think there's an error about the price of the non-machinable surcharge, as best as I can tell.

I think that surcharge also goes down to $0.15.

I can test this 2 different ways:

(1) on the pdf of the price changes posted by Michael above, look on page 6, footnote 1:

"1. Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics in DMM 101.1.2 are subject to the $0.15 nonmachinable surcharge."

(2) If I use the price calculator on the USPS site and select a date of mailing after the price increase (thanks, Carol, for that tip!), it shows a 1-ounce letter with a non-machinable surcharge to cost $0.70 total, which would be $0.55 postage + $0.15 surcharge.

Please let me know if I've missed something.

• Phil,

I don't believe you have missed anything, that surcharge does go down to $0.15.

The US Postal Service has a new stamp available for pre-order on their website. This stamp, the California Dogface butterfly stamp, is listed at $0.70 each and is described as being for Non-Machinable Square Envelopes. This stamp will have its "First Day" on the day the postage rates change at the end of this month.

• That makes more sense. Thanks. I saw somewhere a surcharge of 70 cents, which I thought seemed pretty outrageous.
  • Doug, I thought I read that on here or another stamp discussion site, too.

And thanks, Richard!
  • I'm sure there is a combination of this-and-that which will come to 70 cents
  • 55c First Class one ounce, plus 15 cent non-machinable surcharge.
  • I used the shipping easy for the first time today and rather than the $4.79 price I was charged about $8:50 for a 3 once package to Israel. Is the $4.79 a minimum charge or am I just doing something wrong? I signed up for the starter store that allows 50 shipments per month, I have only just added international shipping back into my store but not sure I want to continue it. Mark's comment above seems to suggest he has shipped hundreds of packages for $4.79 each?
  • The $4.79 is for a 1 oz package. Each ounce adds additional cost. According to the 2018 chart 3oz to Israel should be $6.56. Don't know if prices will change in 2019. So far I haven't seen anything regarding new International pricing.

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005917963-USPS-discontinues-service-for-First-Class-Mail-Int-l-Flats-on-Jan-21-2018

Scroll down to the bottom of this page. You will have to open each category,
  • Yes, that's for 1 ounce, 2 ounces will be $5 and change, and 3 ounces will $6 and change.

Per the article above, make sure that when creating your shipment, you select:

Carrier: USPS
    Carrier Service: First Class Mail
    Packaging: Large Envelope/Flat - Merchandise
  • Thanks Jeri and Mark, likely I chose the wrong packaging classification! Even at 71 you can still learn new tricks!
  • You got me Doug. This is embarrassing. I'm going to see if I can get my money back on my undergrad degree in Math.
  • According to the USPS a flat can not be rigid it has to be bendable. If you put card board in it it has to go as a package since it is non-machinable.