So, what is HipStamp to do about new USPS rates?

Comments

• Hi,just looking at some of the replies,you should live here in New Zealand.Track & Trace for overseas is about $50 but normal shipping $2 which will be going up shortly.Items lost sending overseas about 1% but I do not sell very high value items & 1 envelope can hold up to 10 items,postage $2 as I combine.With a number of countries a customs label or tracking label is an invite for thieves.Since 2002 I have never lost an item to Western Europe or USA.Canada,but Asia & Eastern Europe care is needed.
  • I sent another package via ShippingEasy this morning - I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. This one going to a PO Box in Rutherford, NJ. I'm nervous about the fact that between the times my package goes into this box and shows up back un USPS possession I have lost all ability to talk to/complain to someone about any delays or problems. ShippingEasy only offers support to those who ship 500 packages a month (don't we all wish) and pay $29 a month. [Hipstamp, by contrast offers support to everyone]. Sooooooooo. I guess we wait and see. I have some loyal customers in other countries and I hate to block them out, but I also hate the prospect of refunding money for lost packages or raising my shipping to unacceptable levels. What to do.......
  • Just pop the stamps into a letter and mail them to your out of US customers. Big Brother is not likely to start chasing stamp dealers for mailing relatively low value items, and if Big Brother does start chasing stamp dealers then the US will be in one mell of a hess .
  • And just to be safe, maybe add a little talcum powder on the stamps in case of moisture :-)
  • I would be very careful of using any kind of powder inside an envelope. I remember reading about the poor lady who spent a couple of months in jail because a field test of her vitamin pills tested positive for drugs. With a powdery substance in an envelope it wouldn't be the local police you would talking to. Remember the whole reason for this mess in the first place is the use of the mails to move drugs..
  • Admittedly my odd humor often escapes even myself. Of course you are absolutely correct Carol.
  • I did get a response from shippingeasy about why (potentially) my shipment was returned:

"Large Envelope Flats must have one dimension that is greater than 6-1/8" high, OR 11-1/2" long, OR more than 1/4" thick."

My envelope was 6x9.

So I guess I'll try again with a slightly larger shipping envelope next time.
  • We used to step on an 11-1/2" bass to make it the minimal 12'' legal size. Couldn't they stretch out that 6" width an extra 1/8"? Jeez
  • Has anyone else using a 6X9 envelope had it returned? None of mine have been returned so far. It's almost impossible to use a larger envelope and keep the weight under 1 oz.
  • All of mine have been 6x9, most not over 1/4 inch thick.
  • Keep in mind that a large envelope/flat is not eligible for tracking. If you printed your own postage did you perhaps select "large envelope flat" from the dropdown menu ? If you did that would be why it was returned.
  • Carol I don't understand why you say a large envelope is not eligible for tracking. I receive them all the time with tracking.
  • If an item is truly a "large envelope/flat" it is not eligible for tracking. The following statement appears on the USPS website, on Stamps.com as well as on the ShippingEasy website:

"Note: Large Envelopes/Flats shipped via First Class are not eligible for tracking, however, they will include tracking when shipped via Priority mail."

Do not confuse a "Large envelope/flat" with a regular first class envelope (6X9 under 3.5 ounces is a regular envelope) or with a first class parcel. They are all handled differently.
  • This is the advice I followed on the SE website. There is not mention of the envelope size here so I did choose the Large Envelope/Flat-Merchandise package type choice:

Summary of changes for ShippingEasy subscribers:

Merchandise can be sent using First-Class Mail International Flats thanks to our valued carrier partnerships.
    Within ShippingEasy, select the Large Envelope/Flat - Merchandise package type.
    The shipping label will:
    Be a domestic label.
    Be addressed to a Postal Processing Facility.
    Include the international recipient address.
    Include an international tracking number.
    Have customs forms sent electronically.

• Labels designated as USPS First Class PKG are affixed to 9X12 large envelopes which can be tracked, so I'm still confused as to why the websites say they need to be sent via Priority mail. Apparently the postal employees haven't visited these websites or they simply view a large envelope as a first class parcel which you say is handled differently. Large or small both are being tracked.
  • First class packages can be tracked - but not flats. Flats are cheaper, packages start at $3.50.

6X9 or a photo mailer can go as a package if it is over 1/4 inch thick. When I first used photo mailers they were 83 cents I believe. Then they added the non-mailable designation and they were around $1.20 or so. Then they were called a package because they hit the sides of the 1//4 inch slot and were a little over $2.00. A couple months ago when International rate spiked up to the $10 plus range the domestic rate increased to $3.25, then to $3.50 a short time later.

And different offices and clerks handle things differently . If I were to go to a clerk in our office with an envelope addressed to Canada to buy postage the clerk will ask what is in the envelope. If you hesitate they will get very specific and ask if there is anything besides correspondence in the envelope and if there is you get to repackage it (larger envelope and customs form) as a package at whatever that rate close to $10 is. Our postmaster upholds the letter of the law not only on anything going outside the country but also on anything going media mail (I also sell books)...

When in Rome - why I do not ship anything out of the US...
  • After noticing that most of the USA stores on this site have not altered their shipping costs for international sales, I'm wondering if anyone has had problems shipping the old-fashioned way without the mess of this new system in effect since January?
  • edited May 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    I know of a few sellers who will ship at international first class letter, or first class large envelope (flats) rates. However, they will make it clear and have an agreement in writing with the buyer that such shipments are sent solely at the risk of the buyer, and there is no refund if the item never arrives.

There are some sellers who have said that they will continue as they had in the past until they get caught and told to stop.

To each their own. They know what they're supposed to do. If they chose to ignore it, eventually they will have to face reality.
  • Per the terms, you will not:
    - breach or circumvent any laws, third-party rights or ...

If some abide by the postal regulations, and others do not, is this a fair and level playing field? If you choose to disregard them, are you technically in violation of the site's terms as well?
  • I get at least one message a week questioning my honesty/ethics; saying they can buy from other sellers for a shipping charge 1/4 of mine. I tell them to go ahead but remind them that ignoring customs laws is a serious business and they stand to lose not only thier order but their money as well.
    Sellers who have an agreement in writing are just collecting evidence. I wish them luck...
    I'm about to chuck it all and ship only to the US, the loss of money will at least remove some of the stress.

And this used to be fun.
  • I too get several emails a week questioning my overseas rates. The thing is I am getting more sales than anticipated. Nothing like before the rate hike obviously. If I got a sale from an non-US buyer and the sale price was small, I was offering the buyer the ability to cancel the order and give them a refund. About 1/2 took me up on it and the other half still wanted the order. I decided to stop doing that because it was costing me money. I was not getting full PayPal fees and I can't ask for a return HipStamp fees if I'm the one offering the refund. If they buy from me, I'm shipping the order.

Bob
  • edited June 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    Ditto, Bob. I just sold one stamp for .33 cents with an overseas shipping rate of $7.00. I feel bad, but that's the way it needs to be. They haven't complained, and I don't know if they committed before they new, or if they knew the rates when they committed to the sale. It just got me to thinking.... again. Simply wish it didn't have to be this way.
  • edited June 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    Doug, how are you shipping overseas for "only" $7? What method are you using?
  • I've had two shipments go through with Shippingeasy since "upgrading" to the required size envelopes. The cost for a souvenir sheet to Australia through them was less than $7.00. I guess these international customers really want some stamps and are willing to pay for it. Many dealers might not even be aware of the new regulations. No one sent me anything regarding it and it was just by chance I saw this discussion thread to change my shipping rates. Maybe the powers-that-be need to send an email alert to all dealers pointing them to the new regulations.
  • " Maybe the powers-that-be need to send an email alert to all dealers pointing them to the new regulations. "

It would level the playing field. As noted - the way it now stands there is real economic incentive to ignore the law and that never works out well in the long run.
  • I agree Carol. It would have made it much easier back at the beginning if they had. Perhaps a threat of banishment for non-compliant dealers might help too.
  • I just got to the point of writing up a form letter that I copy and paste explaining what happened and I point them to the USPS regulations. And I also point out that all merchandise MUST have a customs form and customs CAN NOT be used on first class latter rate.
  • Even more fun would be if the "powers that be" borrow Michael's letter and send it to BUYERS!
  • Wayne,

I suggested that fairly quickly after the rate changes, to inform both the buyers and sellers of that.
  • Just a fly in the ointment, is anyone thinking of the ethics of the whole thing. If I were a buyer and I knew you were not dealing with the government agencies in an ethical manner, could I trust you to deal with me ethically if I had a problem or if I was looking at a fairly good stamp,on what basis should I trust you?
    And as a seller could I trust a buyer that wants to do the same,on what basis should I trust that buyer? If you're willing to lie to the government (Which is what one is doing when the merchandise is shipped out by first class letter rate,you are claiming that that letter only contains documents and NOTHING else) on what basis can I trust you will NOT lie to me also?