SolvedSort by Country / Catalog Number Inconsistancy

edited February 2018 in Bugs 0 LikesVote Down
I'm looking at Japan in my store sorted by Country / Catalog Number. There are several instances where the numbers are not in order. I'm attaching a screen shot of a group where the order is close enough to get on one screen. Can you please check this? I even went back and edited the listing, thinking that there may be an unseen special character in the Description.

HS_Sort_Order_SS

Thanks!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Bob,

I'm seeing the same thing. At first I thought it was the letters, but then some do sort as your screen shot shows while others seem to appear anywhere or at the end of the Country List.
  • On the Japan 2715c Used, you have the Catalog Number set to 2668e

If you change the Catalog Number to 2715c it will sort correctly.
  • Thanks Mark. I have noticed that when listing multiple items with lower case suffixes, that the catalog number does not always change when you finish entering the description. It has to be manually changed. On the same day I listed 2668e, I probably listed 2715c right after it and the number didn't change and I didn't catch it.

Bob
  • edited March 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    While posting new items, I have been watching very closely since my last post. I have listed 4 items today that have a suffix of lower case "c". Each time, the catalog number did not automatically change. I know it sounds weird but I believe there is something about lower case 'c' that is an issue. I also listed other lower case letters and those changed automatically.

I also have a suspicion about lower case 'f' stamp. Didn't list any of those today but tried some tests and that also did not change.

I think that would be a very easy thing to verify.

I'm using Firefox 59.0.1 (64-bit)

• I just went through the alphabet. The letters that did not auto-fill were: c, f, k, and p
    Those letters DID auto-fill if the catalog # had a 2-letter suffix, e.g. 125Ac

Chrome Version 57.0.2987.98
  • edited March 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    When using the List Similar feature, every field in the new listing you're creating will be copied from the previous listing. You should then review and edit all fields which you need to make an update to.

As a convenience, when we're able to definitively extract the Country and Catalog Number from the title you have entered, we will automatically update the Country and Catalog Number fields for you. If we're unable to definitively extract the Country and Catalog Number from the title you have entered, the fields will simply be left as-is (since this is how the List Similar process works), and just like any other field, you should review/edit the Catalog Number field accordingly.

That being said, if you place a # (or SG, Scott, etc.) before the Catalog Number in the title, we will almost always be able to definitively extract the Catalog Number. This is because for example, if we see "US 75c Mint Stamp" we can't be certain if that's a Catalog Number, or a Denomination.
  • Ahh, I love it when I can learn the rationale for certain processes. It makes it so much easier to remember these things in the future.
    Thanks, Mark.
  • edited March 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    That makes sense. I wonder if the lower case 'f' is thought of as Francs? I'll just have to pay attention when listing lower case suffixes? Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't think of a reason the other letters worked and 'c' didn't.
  • How about f=frank, and p=pence

John
  • . . . and 'k' = kronur?
  • David, I have just listed my first stamp with a 'k' suffix and I can tell you it did not automatically update, so I think you are correct!