Explain what dpo is or 2dpo?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Poor Listings, Poor descriptions and Nil stock and no Feedback.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As a newbie can someone explain what dpo is or 2dpo? orange of the other terms seen when thinking of buying stamps.
    Cheers
  • I'm unclear of your question, but if you are referring to the colors dp can mean deep or drab. If you are not referring to colors, could you rephrase your question?
  • More than likely DPO refers to an address "Diplomatic Post Office", usually an overseas embassy. It is similar to an APO address.
  • The introduction to the Scott Catalogs lists color abbreviations (page 18A).

"dp" means "deep"
    "db" means "drab"

Alan, if you could copy the full text that contains those letters, people can give you a better answer after seeing it all in context. Right now, it's a guessing game.
  • In postal history "dpo" refers to "dead post office" - a post office which closed at some point in the past.
  • In my store DPO stands for "Don't Pass Over" or "Definitely Place Order" ;-)
  • Good one, Ron.!
  • Lesotho Butterfly SC 827-40a MNH (24dpq)
  • You should ask the seller what 24dpq means. (and he has another similar item that cryptically says 8dpn)

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/lesotho-butterfly-sc-827-40-mnh-8dpn/19824082

There is a blue button at the far right above the listing description that allows you to ask the seller a question.

Please let us know the answer to this guessing game. :smile:
  • edited June 2018 2 LikesVote Down
    Alan I think possible that is a code for the seller only.. All of the almost 52'000 listing in their Store have a mix of numbers & letters in (..) after the title. I Don't see any possible connection to the actual stamp item. My guess.. it is a code to let them know where in their large inventory the item is.. for fast packing & shipping. All The Best Alan.
  • I have used similar codes in the past. I still do, but it doesn't appear to the buyers. When I did use them in the item titles, I did receive many questions regarding the codes. On HS, I use the Private ID field for this purpose.
  • Could be "Don't pursue ostriches."
  • As Generalissimo Generali does, I use the Private ID field for identifying inventory. That is its intended purpose, and it prints out on the invoice. I don't know why dealers insist on confusing stamp buyers by putting this garbage in the titles.
  • Many thanks for clarifying.