Do I have a rarity? Possibly Sc 336 10.75 x 12 x 12 x 12

IMG_0407
IMG_0408

I am no expert on this series, it normally drives me somewhat batty trying to figure stuff out and normally I avoid trying to do so.

This is as my best guess Sc 336 but it is perforated 10.75 along the top x 12 x 12 x 12.

I see other issues with combo perforations, but I can't find anything regarding this issue.

I'm also interested in the 10.75 perforation which is along the top through the guideline and is very sharp compared to the others. I'm wondering if it is a manufactured perforation.

If it were manufactured, it is a pretty bizzarre stamp to do it with, it has a giant tear in it.

It was discovered in a normal USA collection as a number 336, the collector did not notice the varying perforations along the top, so they did not create it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe the perfs are fake.
    Remember fakers do practice on cheaper and damaged stamps untill they perfect their fakery.
    The reason I believe them to be fake perfs are as follows:
    1).The perfs are of different sizes
    2) perfpins have a slit in them to get the tiny piece of paper out and these always line up the same. Notice the Perfs on the right (probably real perfs.) have a tiny bit of paper and the holes are not clean cut at about 7 or 8 o'clock this is were the slit in the pins normally are. On the left side ( also probably real Perfs.) The perfs are all clean cut. The top perfs almost all are not clean cut and the extra bits are all over the place.
    3) The center plate line at the top probably means it was a straight edge stamp.
    Paul
  • Hi Paul!

I was also of the mind that the plate line indicated it was once a straight edge stamp.

Sadly no windfall for the estate this came from then.

I would love to know the backstory of how this stamp got from the person who was practicing perforations into the collection it ended up in, especially since it was somewhat correctly identified (as mostly 336), but in abysmal condition as compared to other stamps in that timeframe in the same collection.

Thank you for taking time to provide this information, it is very much appreciated.

• Ron - I am doing this by memory so may have some of the details wrong, but back in the 70's there was a man in the Montreal area that was reperfing stamps, at that time Canadian high values to improve their centering.,When he was arrested he apparently showed police how he did it using only a razor blade. It is possible that he also "played" with US stamps. I believe he may have resurfaced and is listed on a dealers forum that you have access to.
  • Remember some center lines are perfed on some issues, Generally Scotts lists center line pairs and blocks when available. Comes to mind #620 and 621. But some regulars also are available with center lines. A study and reference of fakeries is a fascinating side hobby and now Scotts lists several Fakes at very surprising prices.
    Paul
  • Hello my name is Albaro and i recently inherited these stamps from my grandpa i was wondering if they were worth anything
  • Please upload several images. I buy and sell Stamps in the state of Nevada.
  • But, create a new topic with the proper heading. Do not change the subject of an existing thread mid-stream.
  • Yes I should have said that.
  • Can someone help me im not sure what i have
  • Are you ill? Do you have a cold?

Okay, I'm being a smarty pants, if you need help in identifying a stamp please post a picture/scan so we can help you.
  • But, please don't post it to this thread. Start a new one.