Straight Edge Stamps

Is the value of stamps with straight edges less than stamps with 4 perforated sides?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In most cases yes SE stamps sell for less than stamp with full perforations. Having said that if someone gave me an inverted Jenny with a SE I would accept it with a big smile. Some stamps were issued imperforate and should have 4 SEs but many collectors want imperfs with 4 good sized margins.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/fatdanes-stamp-store
  • Why can't we just do away with all this nonsense of perforations, gum, hinges and centering. Just take a pair if scissors and trim each stamp removing the borders and, thus create a uniform example of an issue? Focusing on the artwork itself seems more to the point than nit-picking the subjective flaws we imagine a stamp might have.
  • Ron - If we did that collectors could just cut out illustrations from a colour catalogue and save themselves a lot of money, and put a lot of dealers out of work. I'm too old to start looking for a new occupation :).
  • Well, admittedly I got into stamp collecting to meet hot chicks at the shows. Had a short relationship with one until she discovered my $4 Columbian was heavily-hinged with a thin. She left me for a coin collector with an envious buffalo nickel set. I was so enamored with that set, I briefly considered re-assigning my gender identity just to give her some competition.
  • Hot chicks at stamp shows? My wife would not have let me go to stamp shows if there were hot chicks , other than her, at the shows. I can remember some dealers that would spend a lot of time after the shows looking for hot chicks. I can also recall one dealer that never made it to a show because he found the hot chick before the show and forgot about the show. At my age I would get more excited about the $4 Columbian even with a thin and heavy hinge.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/fatdanes-stamp-store
  • Dennis, you must have a wonderful woman in that she chose you in spite of your philatelic pursuits. It's not like a woman to excitedly proclaim to her friends and family " and he's a stamp collector!"
  • My wife has put up with a stamp dealer husband for over 50 years - she probably deserves sainthood for that.
  • If you guys want to have a conversation with each other trade your e-mail addresses. I just asked a question which was answered. Now I get an e-mail every time you comment about something off topic. I was hoping that this would be a place where I could ask knowledgeable people questions about stamp collecting. If this is what I am going to experience I guess I need to find another forum.
  • George, please don't feel that way. Sometimes we do go off topic and for that, well, that's how we learn about each other.

As far as SE stamps my question would be, why would a booklet stamp that has a SE to begin with sell for less than a regular stamp?
  • This was a stamp from a sheet, not a booklet, but thanks for asking for clarification.Q7
  • Since that is from a sheet, my question still stands to the knowledgeable collectors here … why would this stamp sell for less than a stamp with four edges of perfs? Is it being punished for being in the top, side or bottom rows?

To me, that is a very nice stamp. I see just a little bit of facial scarring at the lower right, but the centering looks good.
  • I trust my first post was taken in stride for what it was: tongue firmly in cheek. My following post a clear product of a quirky, over-active imagination. Hopefully, the banter that frequently diverts from original topic isn't too off-putting; but rather seen as Luree mentioned, an injection of our various personalities- a bit of social repartee. As to the question at hand, it seems from my perspective that a straight-edged stamp detracts from the symmetry of the outer frame...you notice the "odd" side. From a purely pragmatic perspective, one might argue straight-edged copies are naturally fewer in production and, therefore "rarer". A sidenote: years ago while involved in pouring through dealers stock, I occasionally ventured upon a stamp with two adjacent sides as straight-edged, suggesting a corner stamp. I contemplated a specialty collection of these pariahs, these anti-desirables, reasoning they were cheap, uncommon, and a niche with little competition. I was hoping to accompany this post with a scan of those rascals, but after a cursory search, they appear to have vanished into the netherworld of my stamp fort knox. Again, my ramblings are not intended to be devisive or too far off topic (though they sometimes do wander into a wider stamp-related conversation). Like finding my mailbox empty, I sometimes feel compelled to "stir the pot" when the forum board is quiet
  • Hey Ron,
    All is good with me, I've known y'all for many years, I get ya. But I don't think that a straight edge stamp should be valued less than a four-perfed stamp. All the coils would be out the door along with all the booklets. It is a good thread and a good question.

All thoughts from a not-so-hot chicky! lol
  • Collectors have always favored that perforated sheet stamps have perforations on all four sides. Just one of those things in the hobby. It is a nice looking stamp, but that straight edge cuts the value. Coils and booklet stamps are a different animal.
  • I've always found it odd that straight edges from sheets are valued less as they are less common than the full perf stamps. I guess it would be too easy to create straight edges if that were the case.

In George Amick's book about the Inverted Jenny, one of the top row straight edged stamps was stolen. Years later the stamp was found but it appeared smaller than when it was stolen. The thought is that someone tried to add perforations and messed it up and then decided to go back to the straight edge.

Because dealer Eugene Klein wrote the position of each stamp on the back in pencil, it would have been very easy to tell that the stamp had added perfs just based on that.
  • edited July 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    George, there are simple settings that can fix those alerts, friendly stamp banter is more than welcomed. Robert, interesting point on the inverted Jenny, I saw that stamp on display. Straight edge stamps may be slightly less desirable and reduce
    some value but it's minimal no need
    to worry unless it's clipped/trimmed.