Artwork Expanded on Stamps

Dave Bennett, several years ago I believe you posted images on the old site of stamps where people had expanded the artwork out onto the selvedge. I forget what this is called. Also, could you please post a few images of this artwork if you still have it available? Thank you!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, thanks, Ted.

• Michael, I'm not sure if you are asking about the way some cachetmakers create a background for a stamp on cover that makes it look like the stamp is part of a larger, extended piece of art . . .

. . . or if you are referring to the remarquéd stamps that Sam Houston Stamp Co. offers in its auctions, in which Ted's definition would be correct. (although, in its strictest sense, a remarqué is the bit of art added to an existing printed piece by the same artist)

Sam Houston has a few in their current auction (halfway down the page): http://stampauctionnetwork.com/s/s305817.cfm#45

s-l300
  • Yes, what you pictured is what I was talking about. I believe you also had some regular postage stamps, like the 1930s National Parks issue, where artists extended the design into the selvedge.
  • I just bought the new $1, $2 and $5 US Liberty Head definitives.These, like some other recent US issues (like the Toy Story stamps) have the design extending into the selvedge on the top, bottom and left sides of the stamps, including the perforated strip that separates the stamps on the pane. I keep the entire design of these stamps, which means keeping the selvedge intact with the stamp.

I found that the best stamp to get the complete design for with the new dollar definitives is the stamp in the lower right corner of the pane. I cut off the extra white space of the corner piece.
  • Oh -- I see where you're coming from now. In the Liberty Head series that bit of design that goes beyond the perforations could not be properly called a remarqué because it is not hand-drawn art.

I believe 'design bleed' (a printing term) might better describe it.
  • Would the current Jimi Hendrix, first Class Forever stamp be an example of "design Bleed?" HS21078
  • Yes -- good catch!