How to ship non-machinables

edited November 2018 in Chatter 0 LikesVote Down
I've read some about the proposed price schedule changes for the USPS. Assuming they go through
--The post office where I live (moved recently) won't accept my flats as flats because they do not bend easily, they have to go as packages, which currently are $3.50 up, depending on weight.. The old place didn't ever look at the stiffness so I guess I've been getting off easy. At least I get a tracking number with packages
The main thing I mail in cardboard mailers is mint US sheets, and I charge a flat $2.50 for these, and specify only shipping to US. So now I'm eating around $1.00 per shipment. I don't really mind that, but if the rate goes up (say to $4.50) I will raise my shipping fees accordingly. I'll still eat $1 but that's all. So will I need to be changing my rate from $2.50 to $3.50? Or is there a better way?

PS- I had to download and install OpenOffice to read the POs xlsx files (Excel) because I don't like renting Microsoft Office 365. It works quite well in case anybody is looking for a way to open the new formats of MS office files. If nothing else you can open them, save as an older format and then use them in the older versions of Excel. It's worth the money because its open-source (ie free)
It's possible this is a good enough program to switch away from the behemoth. And get this - no ribbon!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You've been getting off easy all right. The clerks should have checked to see how stiff your mail pieces are. It's called the "flex test". Also, you may have gotten lucky as stiff packages do not go easily through the first class letter/large envelope (flats) sorters. The packages can jam in the machines and get mangled to bits along. You would thus lose your shipment and have to deal with your buyer not being happy over not receiving the order.

You can do the "flex test" yourself (see below), plus the mail piece must meet size and thickness criteria.

From USPS Domestic Mail Manual section 100:

2.3 Minimum Flexibility Criteria for Flat-Size Pieces

Flat-size pieces must be flexible. Boxes—with or without hinges, gaps, or breaks that allow the piece to bend—are not flats. Tight envelopes or wrappers that are filled with one or more boxes are not flats. At the customer‘s option, a customer may perform the following test on their own mailpieces. When a postal employee observes a customer demonstrating that a flat-size piece is flexible according to these standards, the employee does not need to perform the test.

2.4 Uniform Thickness

Flat-size mailpieces must be uniformly thick so that any bumps, protrusions, or other irregularities do not cause more than 1/4-inch variance in thickness. When determining variance in thickness, exclude the outside edges of a mailpiece (1 inch from each edge) when the contents do not extend into those edges. Also, exclude the selvage of any polywrap covering (see 201.5.3 from this determination. Mailers must secure nonpaper contents to prevent shifting of more than 2 inches within the mailpiece if shifting would cause the piece to be nonuniform in thickness or would result in the contents bursting out of the mailpiece

Section 200:

4.3 Minimum Flexibility for Flat-Size Pieces

Flat-size pieces must be flexible. Boxes—with or without hinges, gaps, or breaks that allow the piece to bend—are not flats. Tight envelopes or wrappers that contain one or more boxes are not flats. At the customer‘s option, customers may perform the following test on their own mailpieces. When a postal employee observes a customer demonstrating that a flat-size piece is flexible according to these standards, the employee should not perform the test. Test flats as follows:

All flats (see Exhibit 4.3a):
    Place the piece with the length parallel to the edge of a flat surface and extend the piece halfway off the surface.
    Press down on the piece at a point 1 inch from the outer edge, in the center of the piece‘s length, exerting steady pressure.
    The piece is not flexible if it cannot bend at least 1 inch vertically without being damaged.
    The piece is flexible if it can bend at least 1 inch vertically without being damaged and it does not contain a rigid insert. No further testing is necessary.
  • edited November 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    Interesting. When I started here there was no questioning of them, then one or two "well, we'll send them and see if they get kicked back", then "these have to be packages". So they caught on to me pretty quickly.
    This is the largest facility I've dealt with in years and they put up with me bringing in packages 2/3 covered with 3-cent commems. Finally a use for all these sheets of 50 3-cent stamps. All in all they're much more friendly and professional. I'm sure they'll get tired of me coming in before too much longer. And I'll run out of sheets eventually too. But this P.O. is on the way to everything else around here and I need to get out more anyway.
  • If you believe that your mailpiece is not a parcel due to rigidity (and the other criteria relating to a parcel do not apply), but the clerk believes it does, the rules do permit you to demonstrate the flex test to the clerk. I have done this a couple of times with success.
  • The easiest way to confirm your postage cost is to go to https://postcalc.usps.com/ choose large envelope/not flexible. The price that shows up (other than priority pricing) is for a first class package. Since you are mailing mint sheets, the size exceeds the letter size of no more than 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long x 1/4 inch thick, and can't qualify as a Large Envelope/Flat because it is not flexible. That's almost as bad as overseas charges for merchandise!

wc