Embargoed Countries and Their Stamps

I have seen many discussions on here and on other sites where sellers have run into trouble with PayPal because they were selling stamps from Cuba, Iran, Syria, etc. I have quite a number of stamps from Cuba and Iran, but they are all from times periods before the embargoes were initiated (most of these stamps are from pre-1940 world-wide collections). I would like to list them for sale, but don't want any hassles from PayPal.

Which countries presently have an embargo enforced against them? I am aware of North Korea, Cuba and Iran and possibly Syria, but are there any others?

Any advice in how to go about this?

Would listing the countries as Cube-Ah (Cuba) and Eye-Ran (Iran) get by this? I am assuming that PayPal would only pay attention to the item titles on the invoice and does periodic searches for key words such as country names. Seems like a silly idea, but if it works, why not?

Or just wait until the embargo goes away? That has worked for quite a number of countries that used to have embargoes enforced by the United States government against them. North Vietnam and then Vietnam, the Peoples Republic of China and Libya are a few that come to mind.

Although I have been retired for a number of years now, I did previously work for a company that had operations world-wide in the oil and gas industries. I know how tricky these embargo issues can become especially when it involves bureaucrats, either in government or private industry, which it always does. Logic generally does not apply, only a very literal reading of the letter of the law.

Richard Pauls (okstamps)
https://www.hipstamp.com/store/okstamps

Comments