USPS suspends delivery in several states affected by the polar vortex

Service will be suspended Wednesday in parts of Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois (including parts of Chicago), Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, western Pennsylvania, the Dakotas and Nebraska, the USPS said.

In addition to deliveries, pickups from businesses, residences and collection boxes are also suspended.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polar-vortex-usps-suspends-delivery-in-parts-of-midwest-affected-2019-01-30/

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I had been following the delivery process for a order shipped to Canada and was a bit perplexed by this entry yesterday:

January 28, 2019, 4:28 pm
    Attempted Delivery - Will attempt delivery on next working day
    CANADA
    Your item could not be delivered on January 28, 2019 at 4:28 pm in CANADA due to force majeure conditions.

I had to look up "force majeure" to see what it meant. The only thing that I could come up with was the severe cold as a reason this shipment wasn't delivered. The location was Toronto. No entry for January 29 so I assume they were shut down and a scan of the item did not occur.
  • There was a time polar vortex was simply a cold front....sigh
  • As well as deep cold Toronto has also been hit with a lot of snow. Toronto is a city that a few years back had to call for help from the Canadian Forces to dig out from a heavy snow. Many Toronto drivers have no idea of how to drive in heavy snow. In London, Ontario last week I had a shipment delayed in arrival due to severe cold. It's Canada, it's winter and we just have to have patience and cope with it
  • Ron, regarding the use of the word "vortex". We are in the 21st Century. We are only about 200 years away from the Star Trek time line. They are simply trying to prepare us for the Star Trek Universe.
  • Oh geez! Somewhere I recall having a few stamps with insect borne cavities in them...worm holes. Are they going to highjack that term also??