Thousands of Scott stamps

My brother died and left thousands of stamps ( mint , scott , collectors and souvenirs and world stamps from 1867-2005. I want To sell everything Or How should i sort it out ? I have little knowledge on stamps collection . Thanks so much

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited March 2019 2 LikesVote Down
    Hi Nel, Sorry to hear of your loss. I know that having a stamp collector in the family that is no longer with us can be painful. As to your situation, do you plan on being a collector or are you looking to just off load the collection?

It is rather hard for any of us to help you without some kind of background and what you are really looking to do. Also, not knowing what this collection looks like leaves one with thousands of questions. If you are looking to open a store here at Hip Stamp, then you need to get a catalogue and learn what you have and then list the items. Or put a bunch up for auction. But having a catalogue would be the best first step. You could even go to the library and look some of those stamps up for some kind of value. Just know that generally stamps are sold for approximately 20-50% less current value.

If you have any further questions we can help, but make sure you add a scan of the item in question.
  • Thank you , i greatly appreciate your comment . I Will sell this by bunch . Will try To learn the basic first Or any store in Ontario that i Can bring all these ?. How would i know the Current value ? Scott cat price ranges from $98-$1 per stamp.
  • Check out this link from the American Philatelic Society:

https://stamps.org/Services/Inherited-a-Collection

Also, if your brother was a member of the APS, you can request help from the APS Estate Advisory Service. The service is free to family of deceased APS members. Information is provided on the same page as the link provided above.
  • Thanks a lot ! Will Check on it .
  • If you are located in Ontario you can find a list of dealers that belong to the Canadian Stamp Dealers Association at www.csdaonline.com . Call a member and speak to them about the collection that you have inherited and they can either make an offer or give advice on how to dispose of a collection once they have actually seen the collection.
    If you have access to a public library the library may have copies of Scott's Postage stamp Catalogue. If you can identify any of the stamps in the collection before speaking to anyone about its disposal you are better off. If the collection has a significant Canadian portion a Unitrade Specialized Catalogue will give you a lot if information

Dennis, the Fatdane of West Nissouri Stamps
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/fatdanes-stamp-store
  • With these inherited collection “ I would try to do good and ( reaserching ) , will end up doing better “ . Thanks
  • Don't forget that you also have the option to continue the collection. You don't have to dispose of it. Learning how to collect stamps could bring you into a hobby that is full of history through those little pieces of paper. Consider becoming a collector yourself. You can always sell off what you don't want to collect.
  • Absolutely correct . I have seen lots of memorable moments printed in stamps . Thank you !