USPS INSURANCE

My Postmaster notified me today that I can no longer purchase insurance for First Class Mail. She advises that only contents of "packages" or "priority mail" are insurable. I have always just used first class mail. It was my understanding that contents in First Class Mail was insurable up to $500. Does anyone know if the rules have changed or if Postmaster is reading the regulations wrong? I know I have also received stamps that were insured and sent as First Class Mail. The most recent being about a month ago.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The USPS site is still showing you can get insurance for 1st class letters sent within the United States. On first class mail going outside the US of course you can not get insurance on first class letters as they are suppose to be documents ONLY. All items of value MUST be sent via first class parcels or priority mail if they are being shipped outside the US.
  • To clarify I was talking about domestic mail. I can obtain insurance on international mail via Shipping Easy at rates lower than the USPS charges for domestic insurance.
  • You cannot purchase insurance for first class letter and first class large envelope. That is nothing new. You can purchase insurance for first class parcel. For the letter and large envelope, the proper added service is certified mail.
  • I don't understand how certified mail would help except preventing the buyer from filing a false claim. It it gets "lost", you are still out the money and PayPal will refund the buyer's money.
  • Certified mail is TRACKABLE and must be signed for. (They can only claim it to be lost if they never received it and it truly got lost in the mail)
  • With certified mail, you can also get a return receipt (green postal card) to give you proof that the item was delivered. I have used it once in a while if I was unsure about the buyer. Nothing like having a piece of paper in your hands when they say that they never got it, and they actually signed the card. Of course with the electronic signature now, you probably don't need to use the return receipt card.