E-mail of closure of the SG marketplace

Moments ago I just received this e-mail from SG.....Seems they're getting out of retail stamps sales & are closing the marketplace.....I'm sure all that also had sites on the marketplace will receive the same....

For the rest?...... Here's SG's excuse / explanation

"Dear Seller,

It has been some time since we last updated you, please accept our apologies if you have felt left in the dark.

As you may be aware, over the past 18 months Stanley Gibbons has been through very challenging times. As a result we have reviewed our strategy and concluded that we will no longer provide a marketplace for collectibles. Therefore, with deep regret, we are announcing the closure of the Stanley Gibbons Marketplace.

This is not a decision that has been taken lightly and we appreciate the effort many of you have put in to growing your stores.

So what’s next? The Stanley Gibbons website will remain open but the Stanley Gibbons Marketplace will be closed for sales at 12pm EST/4pm GMT on the 5th of August 2016. The site will remain open for the following 4 weeks until the 1st September 2016 to enable you to close out any outstanding transactions. During this 4 week period orders cannot be placed.

If you're a bidStart seller and your store is synced with the Marketplace, please note that the sync has now been disabled. Your inventory will remain on both bidStart and the Marketplace, but you will need to manually adjust your items on both sites, in line with sales and stock adjustments.

Please find attached a document detailing the full process for store close down:"

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yup! As I said in anther forum, now I can eat my words.......
  • I think its sad day- when you think about the amount of effort and $$ it took to bring the market place up to par-not that it was.
  • Yeah....Not interested in going over the past few years..Their investors...how much they were putting into it....staff changes..etc....A sad waste of time....

I'm just looking forward to a fresh start with Mark on Hipstamp. :)

Wonder how that Stanley Gibbons Marketplace Pioneers facebook group is doing?
  • I heard that facebook group sold their SG stock and bought Kleenex...
  • edited July 2016 3 LikesVote Down
    Actually, the Pioneers are doing well and very happy about the turn of events. We're voting as to keep the Facebook group as a place for philatelic discussion and learning. Also, a great place for younger "new" collectors to ask questions and become more informed about their hobby. Not sure if the moderator has enough time for this.
  • Maybe band together as the Hipstamp pioneers?

We were all on the same page with Bidstart prior to it's being sold....Be on the same page again & build up Hipstamp?
  • The FB group is doing just fine, thanks. It's an alternative forum free of a particular selling site's limitations. It might pay to remember why the group was set up in the first place about a year ago. We're also casting things broader than one particular site or one particular selling category like stamps. More broadly, the focus is on collectibles. It's not a question of how much time the moderator has as much as how much members want to post & what they want to post. Posts aren't screened so the traffic is organic. I'm sure there will be plenty of HipStamp discussion as things grow.