Postal material

Many businesses seem to be unloading their supplies of older stamps to cover current postage costs. Some of the envelopes make for interesting viewing - but are they collectable?
Also - if there happens to be an interesting postmark, do I keep the whole envelope, cut around the stamp and postmark, or just lift the stamp?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Mr. Tucker You are making an astute observation. Modern postal history has made its way into the accepted mainstream of the cover part of the stamp hobby. This due in large part to a marvelous collector & author, exhibitor 'Tony W.' He bucked the purists & won. The entire hobby benefited. My thinking is the material you refer to is very collectible.. but do keep in mind, collectible & valuable are two different considerations. Postmarks are a key element of the cover.. Never alter a cover..never 'lift a stamp' It is always fun to search $1. boxes on dealers tables..learn to trust your instincts & learn to look past the immediate flash, although 'eye-appeal' is important. Dan
  • The switch over by postal administrations to self-adhesive stamps from lick-n-stick versions has been a boon for those of us who believe leaving covers fully intact is the way to go (the self-adhesives are a pain to lift). It gives me the heebie-jeebies when I think of all the incredible postal history destroyed by stamps being removed from their covers. In the old days, many collectors ignored interesting routes, post marks, and auxiliary markings just to get a stamp onto an album page, removing historically important items from the collecting pool permanently. As you yourself mentioned: these make for interesting viewing...so I would suggest leaving them just the way they are. Disclaimer: One of the beauties of this hobby is that each of us can collect however we like, so the ultimate decision is yours to make, taking into account many factors, in this case, space limitations, for example (I have several large carboard boxes packed with contemporary covers, and they o take up room).