Auctioning stamps advertised as "with cert", but no copy of cert provided

Recently I've noticed a few high-end stamps up for auction advertised as "with PF cert", but there's no scanned image of the cert, no mention of the cert #, and no mention as to whether the cert is clean. This is ridiculous in my opinion, not only because it creates a guessing game for the potential bidder, but also because the seller likely won't realize a top price for the sale of that particular stamp. In short, the dealer is doing a disservice not only to him/herself, but also to the bidders on HipStamp. I've inquired a couple of times with this particular seller asking for more information, but have never received a reply. Here's a prime example:

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/us-122-unused-no-gum-pf-cert/27878253

Being that I'm awaiting for the stamp linked below to arrive, my hope is that the cert is clean. If not, I'll be returning it and providing negative feedback.

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/us-2-used-vf-with-pf-cert/27677499

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Totally agree, Mark, especially with a "no gum" stamp of this cat value. The cert may indicate it is genuine while noting other observations which can affect desirability. I'm not that familiar with just how "picky" the expertisers are when deciding whether to mention small "flaws" seen under magnification on their certs (in this case, perhaps the black ink on the upper right 90 and some possible toning on some lower perf tips). On a sidenote, it was interesting seeing another example of this stamp for sale which showed two certs from different services for the stamp; one determining the top was reperfed while the other failed to declare such. Oh, and back to the first stamp, one would certainly as a minimum additionally wish to see a photo of the back side too.
  • What am I missing here? If I click the first link you provided, there's clearly a PF cert pictured as image two, right next to the stamp's image...
  • edited August 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    Was that there before? Man I missed it. Good catch George. One obvious question (at least in my mind) is it legitimate to certify the stamp as " unused no gum" while also listing it as "faintly cancelled at top right"?
  • edited August 2019 2 LikesVote Down
    George it appears someone was paying attention to my rant and just posted images of the cert for this stamp and a few others on their listing.

Ron I noticed that too regarding that stamp. Should it be listed as unused?
  • Mark - I'm delighted that your "rants" woke someone up. Now the listings are as they should have been in the first place.

There's no way in hell any stamp with any inkling (pun not intended) of a cancel should be considered 'unused.' Someone at the PF clearly dropped the ball on this one.
  • The cert was issued in 1999. It should probably be resubmitted for a new cert.
  • It will be interesting to see how much this stamp brings. Regarding the current plethora of 51 bids, some bidders may now come to realize that they are not bidding on an unused stamp.
  • How is a seller allowed to change something after bids have already been placed? The correct thing to do is end the auction early and relist with the proper description and photos!
  • Here's another item where the PF cert makes no sense. It says "unused og" for a stamp that's NGAI. They must have certified it right before happy hour :smile:

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/us-3-mint-with-pf-cert-no-gum-nh/27854580
  • edited August 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    I didn't think US #3 ever had gum as it was a reprinted issue of #1. As for the US #122, that is a very well centered stamp with a gorgeous face but it is lightly used not unused. One of my pet peeves is when a seller claims an older stamp is Mint no gum and it has a cancel or indication of usage on the back! Also there seems to be some issues on the top left perhaps scuffing and unfortunately some toning and a tear. But someone might have fallen in love with that face.
  • That cert was issued in 1988. Looks like the 1980s and 1990s were challenges for the PF.