Patriotic Minkus cover mystery Scott 788 First Day Cover postmark in 1942

HS28029

I wonder if someone has an explanation for this J. Minkus cover? The stamp is Scott 788 issued March 23rd 1937, the "First Day Cover" postmark is April 15th 1942 MacArthur WV. (As far as I could tell there was not a stamp issued on 4/15/42 to tie the postmark to?) Obviously MacArthur ties in nicely with the patriotic them of the cachet.
Got to love a good mystery!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The "First Day" on the cover refers to the first day of the new name of the town - MacArthur, W. VA - previously known as Hollywood, W. Va.
  • Wow, Jeri!! Very impressive!!
  • Thanks, Dave. The explanation is in the US Specialty Catalogue. However, given my age, it is "impressive" that I remembered where I saw this :smiley:
  • Thanks Jeri!! Interesting that it would refer to a renamed town as a cover!!
  • If it was a true FDC it would have had First Day of Issue in the cancel. By this time in postal history many people knew that a cover was a canceled envelope so this was issued as a cover on the first day of the new Post Office name. I have seen quite a few of these through all my years of dealing and collecting.
  • Jeri, at any age, it'd be impressive! I had to go and look for myself in the US Specialized to see where and how it was indicated. Well done!!

And I certainly learned something new today.