Nothing has changed

40 years ago this weekend I was standing in the middle of the spare bedroom trying to figure out how to protect my stamp collection from Hurricane David.
This weekend I am standing in "the office" trying to figure the best way to protect my HipStamp stock from Hurricane Dorian.
It makes me feel young again.
Between David and Dorian I have weathered too many Tropical Storms and Hurricanes to remember, each time wondering what to do with the stamps. I'm still not sure. The only thing is I'm more philosophical about it all and can usually get ready (7 gallons of water, canned food, solar charger for the phone and tablet, towels, First Aid kit and a clean porch) in a day or so. I pray for my fellow Floridians as I prayed for Puerto Rico and the islands. I especially worry about my fellow dealers in the area and my nearby customers. My house has survived more hurricanes than I, so I feel safe.
Sunday and Monday will be fun time - I'll see you all on the other side.

wayne

PS My store will be "on vacation" from sunday until the power comes back on.

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wayne, I hope you stay safe. I also wonder if I should be boxing my stamps and heading to the "safe" room. This time if I do that, the safe room needs to be cleaned out. Oh arg, what to do … drop the shutters and watch the storm from the back porch. We are prepared and will finish up tomorrow or Saturday.

Be careful my Florida friends and please check in when you can.
  • Best of luck!
  • Sending you all good thoughts, Luree and Wayne, and others potentially impacted by this.
  • Luree, I just move everything away from windows toward the center of the room. My safe room is too tiny. Concentrate on you looks like we are in for quite a ride - stamps can be replaced. And stay safe - thinking of you!
    Wayne
  • Thoughts and prayers to all in Florida.
  • Hunker down when the time comes and be safe Luree and all Floridians....prayers on-going !
  • Thanks everybody. 95% of the shutters are up. Hoping to do all the manual labor today, cooking tomorrow and then watch the rain and wind for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and maybe even Wednesday.

As far as the stamp, Wayne, you have sparked a thought, I'll just move them into the closet across from the window. Good idea, thanks
  • Put as much as you can into waterproof containers, such as X-tra large double-seal freezer bags, just in case.

I always wonder why there is a run on plywood every time one of these damned storms approach. What the hell did everyone do with the plywood they bought from the storm before??
  • George, some people leave it outside and it warps or they put it in the garage and it warps or it gets used for other projects. We did the plywood (marine wood) for a couple of years and then made the leap with real shutters. Well worth the money for the time savings.
  • I’m in the same predicament. Probably staying put this time and hope for the best. I’m in Merritt Island, Florida.
  • edited August 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    This morning things are looking up for some of us. Looks like old Dorian is going to turn up the coast and visit the Carolinas. Nothing has changed. Still real people to worry about. Lots of Floridians will get tropical winds (over 40 MPH) or higher. Michael Dalton, you will get lots more. Interesting...Hurricane David did the same thing in 1979 - bumped up the coast for a while. Dorian must be related!

Also George, there are new people and new houses daily in South Florida. They require new plywood and then have no place to store it in their $300,000 houses so they make bookshelves for the kids.

Lots of rain coming to my house and ("they" say) 50+ MPH winds. I'll be on the porch - stop on by got 3 chairs...no waiting!
  • If I was putting up a new build for a home in Florida, I would think adding hurricane-proof shutters or roll-downs as part of the project would be a no-brainer.
  • I agree, George, it should be a no-brainer for a new house. It took us a few years to build up our cash reserve for the shutters and others may have a cash flow problem. Also, I wanted it easy for me should something happen to my beloved! I don't plan on anything happening, but one never knows.

Must go into work tomorrow, yuck yuck and double yuck! The stores are very empty today I can just imagine how empty they will be tomorrow.
  • Things are looking up for Florida and the rest of the US, but not for the Bahamas. If you are of the mind, keep the donation line phone number for the Red Cross and Salvation Army close by. They are going to need A LOT of help in the islands, and that's what we do in this country...
  • I'm all caged in. The neighborhood is like a page from a Stephen King book, very quiet and spooky. About 11 PM or so we should be getting some of the outer bands.
  • Stay safe, Luree!
  • Thanks, Tom.

So much for feeling the effects of the outer bands! Bahamas are getting pounded. My work is closed today and tomorrow and at the rate this thing isn't moving they should think about closing on Wednesday, too.

Time to go outside and see the misting rain.
  • Strange. The storm is less than 100 miles from West Palm Beach and moving about 1 MPH.
    Luree is getting a little rain, I suppose. I'm west of her and the sun is out! Problem is it can only
    get worse. Waiting for the 40-50 mph winds tonight and tomorrow. Then the sun will be out soon after when the storm takes off north (we hope and pray).
  • Not too far north, I hope. Canada's Maritime provinces don't have the same experience as you Yankees. Heartened to hear my beloved Charleston wasn't as severely punished as feared. Good luck to y'all - sincerely!
  • Hope all our Alabama members are taking all necessary precautions to stay safe.
  • Political humor, Ted? :smile:
  • edited September 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    Ted lets hope no collectors prematurely started adding their Greenland pages to US possessions.
  • fortunately I live in an area of ​​Mexico where we should not worry so much about hurricanes, but about the rains.