HipStamp Items appear in Google search as used?

I am a returning seller to HipStamp. I note that all of my items appear in Google search as "used" when they are actually mint NH iChristmas Seals and Local TB Charity Seals, which are unused.

Further, the Charity Seal literature that is listed is new and unused, however the material is listed on Google search as "used"

Is everyone ok with that designation for your items? Why can't this designation be "unused" or be blank?

Any ideas?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Because "New," in the collector's sense as being in mint condition, is not the same as "New" in the commercial sense. A New item is one that has not previously been sold to an end consumer. Manufacturers, distributors, and wholesalers sell "New" products. Once the end consumer has gotten their hands on the product, it is "Used," no matter how new it looks.
    Unless you are the manufacturer or authorized distributor of your stamps and seals, they are "Used."
  • Ted, actually, I was not attempting to apply the term "new" when describing the stamps, that I sell on eBay, HipStamps, or my own website. Using your definition, I believe a more accurate term would be "unused" rather than "used"

Further, consider that I purchased a few thousand dollars of Vario Stock Sheets, Scott Album Supplements, and G&K Stamp Hinges from Subway Stamp Shop. And, then list them in my webstore, eBay, and HipStamp. They most certainly are "new" and not "used". However, on Google search for these items, they would appear as "new" in my store, and on eBay. Unfortunately, the items would appear as "used" on Hipstamp.

Now, many sellers here are disposing of their own collections, or material that was purchased from other collectors. Using your definitions, the current designations are correct.

It is my understanding that HipStamp is designating all items sent to Google as Collectibles. Google considers all Collectible items as being "used". Actually, I believe that collectibles such as stamps, which have full undisturbed gum, and have not been postally used should be designated "unused". There should be a more accurate description displayed on a Google search result.

I am sure that the Courts and the UCC have provided us with a more accurate description as to the meaning of the terms "used" and "unused".

Do a Google search for items listed by Mystic Stamp, or on eBay. You will note that items similar to yours are shown without a designation, while your items on HipStamp are being shown as "used".

Today, I removed all my Christmas Seal Collections, Local TB Charity Seal Collections, and Easter Seals from HipStamp. I like HipStamp, so I will be listing all the Charity Seal Literature, and many of the stamp supplies that I also sell in my webstore. I will evaluate everything after the hiolidays.
  • Ted, one additional thought, the items I am now listing are "new" and are supplies, not collectibles. They should be sent to Google as "new" and not as a collectible. I wonder if HipStamp will do so.

• Google Shopping has three options for Condition (all in the commercial sense): New, Used and Refurbished, and it's a required field (it cannot be blank). We originally sent Mint NH items to Google as "New" and they suspended all such listings. We were informed that unfortunately unless the Mint NH stamps were sealed in their original packaging - they can not be listed as New. We spoke to several people at Google about this, and they were unwilling to make any exceptions, and indicated that all Collectibles not in their original packaging, even if no such packaging ever existed, must be sent with the Condition "Used".

The being said, this is just a filter on Google Shopping and does not affect any listings on HipStamp, or the titles and descriptions of the items on Google Shopping.
  • Shop for Greens Catalog, TB Seals of World, Part 3, Foreign Christmas seals
    Sponsored
    FILTER

Green's Catalog, Part 3, Foreign Tb Charity Seals, 1983 Ed., Cd
    $8.95
    $8.95eBay - kozersky

Green's Catalog, Part 3, Foreign TB Charity Seals, 1983 ed., CD
    $8.95
    $8.95 usedHipStamp - kozersky

Which link would you select if you were searching for the Green's Catalog? The HipStamp listing indicates that the catalog is used, while the eBay listing appears to be new.
  • edited November 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    Here is another example from Google Shopping -

GoogleIMG

If you were searching on Google, which would you choose? These CDs are new from the CS&CSS which I purchase from the CS&CSS and sell as a dealer.

The problem is that HipStamp sends all listed material to Google as collectibles, which Google classifies as "used" items. HipStamp has the opportunity to choose New, Refurbished, Used, or Collectible. I'm told that they choose collectible.
  • edited November 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    HipStamp does not send all listed material to Google as collectibles - that's not an option. There are three options: New, Used or Refurbished - per my post above.

I'm not sure why the ebay listing in question does not have a condition specified, but it could be for many different reasons.

However, again, we did originally send items that we considered to be "New", including the item shown above to Google as "New". The result was that Google suspended these listings because these items were not in their original packaging and sealed by the manufacturer. We disagree this should be the case, and have spoken extensively with Google about this issue - but unfortunately, they refuse to make any exceptions, and explicitly stated that these items must be sent with the condition "Used" or they will be suspended from Google. Failing to comply could additionally result in our entire account and all listings being suspended.
  • Thank you for the information. I appreciate your explanation. I must note that HipStamp customer service informed me as to the submission as collectibles.

It is unfortunate that a third party such as Google can define the terms of our hobby.