New Zealand GST

Hi one and all
Hear in New Zealand we have GST (goods and service tax) When you purchased goods from outside NZ as long as the total was less than NZ$450 there was no tax to pay. Now 1st December tax will be charged on all goods no minimum. ebay has joined in and will collect tax on all sales to NZ at 15% on price paid plus shipping I just wonder will this have any impact on stamp sales to NZ will buyers resist.

Will Hipstamp be part of this, I have had my first buy on ebay with a GST charge I may have to rethink where to buy new stock from as here in NZ to buy stamps from a dealer GST is already in the price, sadly we do not have many dealers left most closed shop or are on ebay!!

Tony

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Governments sure are greedy, aren't they? It is like an addiction. Politicians can't wait to tax, and raise taxes. They view people with contempt and as if the people are nothing more than open checkbooks.
  • edited December 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    Yes - I have also noticed this when selling on ebay to Australia and different states in the US in recent months. Ebay collect the tax from the buyers and send the tax proceed to the government of that country.

The only problem is that the seller does lose out. This is because the tax is added to the ebay invoice and paid by the buyer - but paypal charge fees on the whole transaction - so all sellers
    lose out!

Also when shipping/posting to Australia from England (UK) you have to go to the trouble of adding
    a long "tax paid code" to the postal address.

I expect hipstamp will eventually be part of this scheme - but at present their sales are chicken feed compared to ebay's.