Value on a 331 pair bottom of a booklet on a postcard?

I found a pair of 331 US on a postcard.
Bottom from a booklet
Like this listing, but still on the postcard.
https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/331-var-used-pair-rare/29969601
Cancelled in 1927 (paid too much postage, but I am sure that does not affect value).
Few listings on hip and eBay to compare to and those few prices are all over the place from $8 to $45.
Any idea what a fair price is?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited January 14 2 LikesVote Down
    OK - I'll take a stab at it. I think I have have sold 4 similar pairs on cover over the years - all pulled from dollar boxes in the 80's where very few people looked for stuff like that.

They are a hard sell - very few collectors are looking for them. Full booklets on cover yes - but not partials. The 1927 cancel has a tremendous impact on price - Scott notes that the used price for a booklet pane is based on contemporaneous cancel and advises a certificate be obtained.

Real world - I just sold the last of my "booklet pane" covers - a 319a bottom pair on a decent cover cancelled in 1908. Used the 319a full pane is 25 per cent less than the 331a full pane. I first put it on Ebay 3 or 4 years ago with a 49.95 start. Nada. Put it on a couple of years ago at 29.95 - again - nothing. Last year I put it on at 19.95 with no interest. I put it on a month ago at a 9.95 start in the midst of 19 other covers - 33 per cent sell through on all but no interest. Title was "Scott # 319 – scarce booklet pair on cover – 1908 – MD – pls read". The fault was a corner bend on the right hand stamp. At some point all good things must end and I reran it at 4.95 start and it ended at $7.17.

It reminded me of when I bought a #10 cover from a fellow dealer off a stack of 50 identical covers - all had a large tear at the bottom. I paid $1.00. It went for just shy of $200 on Ebay. I sent out a congratulatory email and the response was "Congratulations my xxx - there are only two people in the world who know or care what it is. We knew it existed but none have surfaced.". The dealer I bought it from put another one on about a month later and it went for $10. A third one 6 months later went for under $5. The world of postal history can be very small at times. The loss on one collector specializing in a particular county can make a lot of good items unsaleable until someone comes along to take his place - sometimes years later.

Just my two cents
  • Carol
    thanks for the input. I see a lot of postal history being all over price wise.
    Many great 'looking' postal history items sell for next to nothing and other average stuff sometimes goes through the roof. I am pretty sure it just has to be the right person looking at at at any given time.
    I see some sellers list everything sky high. $85 to $150 even for simple postcards and stuff, and they sell very little, BUT with their humongous inventories they actually make a great living of it.
    And then there are some that list everything at 99 cent free shipping auction and the runners make up for the duds.
    With the listing fees here being negligible and on ebay basically less than 4-5 cents per month for larger inventories they can afford to let their stuff site for YEARS and still come out ahead.
    10 years listing fee on eBay is 6 bucks, on here pennies.
    If the prices are high enough, but still allow for the stuff to sell eventually it is not a bad business model. If one has the patience to sit on 100,000 listings and deal with 10 or so sales a day.
    I guess my approach will be in the middle.
    The beauty about postal history is, that everything is almost always unique.
    The combination of sender/receipient addresses, postage, kind of envelope, cancellation etc gives an item many different possible buyers.