How to determine if fakes & what to look for?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited March 2020 2 LikesVote Down
    They are both forgeries.

The quickest for the 1 and 2 cent is no period after the "E" in postage. Also for the 2 cent, there is no period after the "A" of Letka. There also is no period after the word cent.

The frame lines are too well done. The top horizontal frame line does not touch the vertical frame lines on the genuine stamp.

The "E" of Postage is too perfect. In the genuine, The bottom bar of the "E" is broken on the genuine.
  • bummer but thanks for your help......Petetr
  • Peter, How are you ending up with these forgeries? As I recall you also had another posting on this topic? Did you inherit a collection?
  • Hey Rene, I did get a small collection a few years ago that had these and a few others in the back of a small stock book....I guess I will just list them as forgeries and see what happens...…...Peter
  • edited March 2020 3 LikesVote Down
    Forgeries sell as some people collect the items created by certain forgers. Also, they can make space fillers.

The problem is that forgeries (AKA "Album Weeds") keep permeating through the hobby, and will often be resold as genuine. Look at the constant flood of forgeries from Iran that are flooded onto the market as genuine. There are tons of them being sold here, and at regular catalog prices.

You should write "fake" or "forgery" in ink on the back of these stamps to prevent that from happening in the future. You can also send them to the American Philatelic Society to have them placed in the reference collection. That way it gets these items off the market, and provides examples for study.