Iincorrect images on Hip stamps

I bought a stamp on HIP STAMPS that was described as used. The image was very clean and didn`t appear to have a cancellation marks. When I received the stamp it had a very heavy cancellation across the stamp. I contacted the seller and he said he has had trouble with Hip Stamps not using the correct image of the stamp. I was wondering if anybody else has come across this problem.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited June 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    It's hard to comprehend the seller's argument since he was the one who created his listing and chose the photo of the stamp to upload. After completing all the elements of the listing procedure, the last step is to see the actual listing before pushing the "list now" button. This would clearly show the image to be attached to the published listing. Therefore it's all on the seller and I can not see how Hipstamp is in any way responsible for an incorrect photo.
  • No, everything has been working as advertised for me. He probably uploaded/linked to the wrong image file somehow.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/mnhynes-bureau-precancels
  • Could be a coincidence, but I recently had a similar experience (bought what looked like a clean used copy, got a heavily cancelled one).
  • When I list multiple copies of inexpensive items, I like to use a photo of the least attractive item of the bunch so, if anything, additional purchasers will hopefully be pleased. Pretty much anything costing more than a dollar, I try to list separately.
  • Reading that the Hipstamp platform chose the picture used was baloney as an excuse. That being said, a disclaimer from the seller stating that lower priced items may see a substitution is sufficient, ethical and alerts the buyer. I have had the experience of receiving torn, damaged, "bad filler" quality items not as described. I do not believe it was dishonesty, but lack of knowledge as some folks who are not collectors try to sell off collections they have inherited without any guidance. On Craigslist and eBay , stock photos of items are used many times to sell so I see how it would be easy for a non-collector to do.download
  • There is good and bad sellers and buyers. Buy I did find a seller who put picture of C6, but the wording under picture was for C9. I bid on it and won, but let seller know what I found. When I got the stamp, I got two stamps. The seller said I made a mistake and thank me for let seller know and sent me both C 6 and 9. I was very surprised and thank the seller.