If buyer sends stamp to be expertized by APS, who pays if stamp ends up as a fake: buyer or seller

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my opinion, you would pay for the expertising and the seller should refund your money upon return of the stamp.
  • If it was listed as legitimate with no caveats (ie: as is, looks real, buyer see photos and decide, etc) and the buyer paid a price reflecting an authentic copy's value, it would seem such a seller has portrayed the stamp to be genuine and ought to absorb the cost of a determination if it is not so. I might lean the other way (buyer beware) had the selling price been substantially lower than what one might pay for a genuine copy. On an expensive stamp, particularly if historically forged, certification is in the seller's, buyer's and future buyer's interest.
  • You should work out these details with the seller first before sending the item in. I would think that if the stamp is certified as described by the seller that the buyer absorbs the cost. If the stamp is certified otherwise, then the seller should pay, and refund the selling price of the stamp. Still, if you send the item in to be expertized, and the seller is not aware that you did this, don't expect the seller to offer to pay for the certificate.
  • I think Michael's answer is better than mine.
  • I'd say split the cost, get your money back and send back the stamp.... BUT agree to this beforehand. And watch out for those overprint "rarities".