Shipping Worries

I just got back from my local post office. They informed me they are NOT accepting any mail addressed outside the United States. I read their memo and I argued there was nothing about first class letter mail. Although, it clearly stated no package mail. Tomorrow they are opening up to about 10 countries (Bangladesh, Thailand, Senegal, etc - essentially countries I would expect there to be no mail to, not allowed countries). Has anyone else had this issue? I cannot find anything online about this.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I just mailed two to the UK without issue, so I suppose it depends on where your mail is aimed.
  • I send items outside the US almost everyday. Most countries are accepting mail again. There was a problem when the USPS was sending mail by sea in container ships from New York to Rotterdam which took almost a month to reach Holland, but now that ceased. Items that I mailed in March and April took 3 months to arrive. Here is a link that show what countries you cannot ship to. Thailand is not on it, and I sent a letter today.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm

• I typically ship mail outside the US everyday as well. They accepted regular first class envelopes with no issue. They informed me that they are not accepting First Class International Tracked mail, Priority Mail, Express Mail, etc. Have you sent one of these this week? Again, they accepted regular envelopes just not those with tracking.
  • Yesterday I mailed a Registered letter to the UK without any problems at my PO. Prior to yesterday the last Reg. item I mailed was to Belgium on May 12. It sat in New York for six weeks, then went to Newark at sat there for at least two weeks. Yesterday it arrived (July 8). I was very worried because it was an expensive item that someone in Bahrain purchased.
  • Interesting, I appreciate that. I have a feeling my Post Office is getting confused and misinforming staff on what not to accept. I will try another Post Office in the future. I fully know Registered Mail is backed up - had something sent in March that arrived last week in Australia. Still have a few that are traveling in the system.
  • I have quite a few in the system as well, most mailed in March and April by regular first class mail. I had a problem with a registered letter sent to Italy, where the stamps inside valued at $400 were stolen in the post office, (probably Milan). The envelope was opened at the bottom and resealed with clear scotch tape, which we are not allowed to use on registered mail. Lost the stamps and the money. Never will ship to Italy again.
  • Been there, done that with Italy. Just got back from my Post Office and spoke with the Postmaster. They reaffirmed they received notice from Washington that they are not to accept any international mail. I said its incredibly odd that this is the only post office that is not accepting international mail. Nothing on the USPS website anywhere about a total cease in international mail. I just think my post office has it wrong.
  • I think so too! Where is your PO? I live in the Ft Lauderdale, FL area. Today I received information from a buyer in the Czech Republic that he finally received his item that I mailed on April 7 by normal airmail. Probably traveled on one if those ships to Rotterdam.
  • I'm in Dallas - and my PO is the main central one serving the city. My worst so far is Malta - shipping early March, received about two weeks ago.