How do I value this?

Attached is a role of Scott 723 Garfield - vertical coil of 1,000 (appproximate - I did not want to uncoll this). In pairs, these can sell for quite a bit. I have no idea whether I should break these up and sell or keep them as is and send them to an auction house (though I have no way to determine what the value of this may be given that I can't seem to find anything like this anywhere). Does anyone have any idea as to what the value may be? Or might go for at auction? Or where to auction something like this? It seems like this is one of a kind.723-1
723-2

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That’s a pretty weird find . How did a very old roll of stamps come to be in your possession? I’d keep it intact .
  • If this is sn#558 Mystic sells singles of this stamp for $60.00. I know they may be over priced, but looks like you have quite a find. Should be worth a considerable amount of cheddar!
  • Scott 558 isn't a coil. But line pairs of 723 catalog around $60 and singles around $12 so you have quite a chunk of catalog value there on top of the fact it's essentially an intact coil. Off the top of my head, not sure how many line pairs there would be in a coil of 1000 but I'm guessing 10 or so. Any coil experts can tell you that number easily.
  • Gilbert, this is actually a horizontal coil. On horizontal coils, the printing plates were 10 x 17, with the long dimension curving around the drum. 2 of these plates were attached to the drum, and a joint line appeared after every 17th stamp. A roll of 1,000 would normally have 58 joint-line pairs.
  • THERE STILL GOOD FOR POSTAGE- 9 OF THEM AND ONE 1cent STAMP WILL MAIL A FIRST CLASS LETTER. BUT DON'T DO IT, THERE ARE BETTER WAYS TO WAST YOUR MONEY?