What is the Hipstamp policy for seller mistakes?

Example:
An action is won at a great price and stamps from a less expensive series are shipped.
The price is almost half of what the stamps can be found elsewhere.
Does the buyer lose because the seller will only accept returns and give a refund?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not sure what the HipStamp take on this would be. I know that a dealer has an obligation, no matter what platform he is selling from, to stand by his product. Obviously the seller made a mistake (God I hope so). It is his duty to supply the correct stamps and arrange to get the stamps originally shipped at his expense When He Knows About It. The buyer has an obligation to inform the seller of the problem and wait an acceptable period of time for an answer and solution from the seller. If you are not satisified, then is the time to get HipStamp involved. Actually, just pretend your seller is in a storefront shop and there is no HipStamp. Act accordingly.,,and kindly.
  • Thank you for the comment. I really was excited to win at the price I got.
    I have had three problems with this seller and one each with three sellers. I found the other 3 sellers more accommodating in honoring the win. I have been having fun in the auctions. I have been asked why do I keep buying from this seller. I said they have great stamps. But these mistakes are dimming my appreciation of the good this seller has provided in my many smooth purchases from them. The smooth buys are a much greater majority compared to the three mistakes they have made. This one is a great monetary Loss and emotionally packed.
  • The penalty for Seller's mistakes is having to sort through a box of thousands of 1 and 2 cent Washington-Franklins and being asked if they are worth anything on a daily basis.
  • lol... I hope they identify the correct version of the stamps if they do sort them and not sell them for more than they are worth.
    Still, I wish that were enough for me right now.
  • It is the auction winner’s loss.
  • I'm confused, if the stamp is returned, and the buyer gets a full refund, including the cost to ship it back, how is it the buyers loss? Ok, he lost some time bidding, winning, paying, getting it, going "oh, this isn't the right stamp for what was listed"... some lost time, send it back, full refund.
    I had exactly this issue recently. I'm not a "one man shop". I have another "administrator" who takes care of most of our listing of new material, and all of the shipping. (I buy collections, ID complicated stuff, but they are learning a lot too). So after 2 years I haven't checked up too much on their listings, as they were usually pretty good. But she got bit by the cross-over from banknote to first bureau printings, and IDd a 253 (3c Bureau Issue) as a 221 (3c Bank Note, ie. without the corner triangles). She just doesn't have experience with these issues, and didn't realize there was something that look so close. I didn't know she had listed the stamp because I don't look at them daily, it's why I have an administrator).

So... the stamp sold, buyer paid. Ten minutes (not exaggerating) after we marked the item as shipped, we receive negative feedback, that the stamp was a Mis-ID, demanding immediate refund of the stamp. Then within seconds of that, they lodge a case against us with PayPal. And in parallel sent us a message that said "If you haven't shipped this yet, then don't, and I want a full refund now".

So our policy is 100% return, and of course if its our mistake, we will cover all the costs. (If you just decide it's the wrong shade of sea foam green, then that's on you, but we'll still take the item back). Now an MNH 253 has a CV of $360, while the 221 is $175 (They paid $150 for it, oh and get this, on a "Make an offer", which we accepted).

Now if this buyer were above board, shouldn't they have messaged us and said "Hey, just noticed this is ID'd wrong. We would like a refund", to which I would very likely have just refunded them right then and there, as a show of good faith, and asked them to return it once they got it. But no... I emailed them back and said "what gives with the instant negative, and opening all these cases in a scorched earth policy without giving us any chance to resolve it?" They emailed me back and called me unprofessional, so I said, great, when you return the item, we will issue the refund.

Is this guy trying to rip me off? Is he just an overaggressive a-hole for a simple mistake? Am I supposed to just issue him this refund for a $150 for a $360 item that he now has control of, and given the aggressive behavior, I highly doubt his intentions or sincerity. He then informed me that we'd been reported to Hip eCommerce to which I replied "Let me know how that works out for you".

Have encountered a lot of scams on eBay, but this one is a first... I have been looking at things this guy has bought in other feedback, and he seems to be making a habit of buying "misidentified material". Don't know if he's demanding money from others instantly or not, but this is why there needs to be some seller protection as well. Of course we make it right. They deserve a full refund and an apology for the mistake. But sellers also deserve to get their material back first. Otherwise, there is 0 fairness.

His behavior also really upset my admin who has lost her confidence in ID now... and so I'm having to coddle every listing until she gains her confidence back. The world is an imperfect place and filled with human error. (On average humans make a mistake every 4 minutes). We have to be prepared for disappointment.
  • Interestingly, the buyer (who one would assume is a somewhat seasoned buyer given he's buying an expensive stamp) made the same mistake in identification as your neophyte administrator, also assuming there was a clear image of the stamp in the listing(which I'm sure there was).
    Its possible he feels like an idiot and is lashing out to cover up his stupidity, or like you said, is trying to pull a fast one. No way I would give him a refund until the stamp is back in hand. Hopefully PayPal will agree, as they are too often wont to side with the buyer in spite of the situation and just pull the money from your account.
    Look at his Feedback 'left for others' to see how many negs he's left for others. If there's a lot of them, HS may toss him from the site (preferably not until you have your stamp back).