"REPRODUCTIONS" in a HipStamp Auction!!

A Dealer on Hipstamp is Offering "REPRODUCTIONS" of US #C13-C15 in a Hipstamp Auction! I have inquired if these are ISSUED by the USPS and No Answer as Yet! In the Groups OPINION are these "REPRODUCTIONS" just that or are they Legal Stamps Issued by the USPS?? Any and All Comments are welcome!!

Comments

• 36 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • TED T, Michael, HEY RON L> ANY thoughts on this guys??? These are being "LISTED" as 1930 Stamps, and although I can't ever see a reason for me to spend between $1100.00 & $2000.00 for the actual stamps( if I won the Lottery.hahaha)I find it Amazing that He can put these in the Auction as Stamps vis a vie "REPRODUCTIONS"
  • I just found those on Ebay for twenty bucks. I would say they are being sold as "space fillers", but not actual stamps.Worthless as true philatelic items, but $20??? Why ? But they are not represented as authentic.
  • Per HipStamp terms of service:
    560115C3-CDC9-4FE9-925B-3D3081D9392D
  • The Ted deals THE LAW! Judge, jury and executioner.....busted.
  • Yah, they got busTED!
  • ??? A search for reproduction returns 238 listings currently on HipStamp. Seems management here are condoning these ???
  • My understanding was that fakes and reproductions were not permitted for sale on this site (as about 1 1/2 years ago). However, several months ago when looking through the categories under which to list items for sale, I noticed under the Specialty Philately heading the subcategory of Fakes and Reproductions. There are presently several hundred items listed under that category. I had a "fake" to list and did so under that category; it sold after being listed for about a month at a very low price and at only a tiny fraction of the Scott value listing.
  • WEll I thought that HipStamps only dealt in ACTUAL Stamps so I won them at the Auction for $21.50, When I got them I was flabbergasted ! they look like the have been run off a high end photo copier, and then Perfed!!! I could see paying $5.00 but not $21.50!!!! Feel like such a Newbie!! :-(
  • SO I guess I should rat out the Dealer to Hip Stamp?? or should I write the dealer and ask for my money back and return his "REPRODUCTIONS!!"
  • edited September 2020 1 LikesVote Down
    Jeff, I have to ask, did you see the items displayed as "reproductions"? If so, the onus is on you for purchasing it. On the other hand, if the seller did not prominently display that these were facsimiles, then you have a case for refund. But the price should have been a huge red flag before purchase. Classic philatelic legends such as C 13-15 don't go for $20 unless obtained in a shady fashion.
  • They were in one of the HipStamp Auctions , where the Starting Bid is $0.01 and goes from there!! The word Reproduction was used Once, under the Listing of the Items they were presented the same as any stamp Sc # and Issue year! I did confuse the word Reproduction with RE ISSUE and the fact that I believed Fakes were not allowed on the Site!! And you are right I should have asked before the Auction was over, So it is on me, to a point, He didn't Really MAKE it 100% plain thaT these were NOT REAL STAMPS. The word Reproduction was only used Once, besides I just think he should make it PLAIN that they ARE NOT STAMPS, You Live you Learn!! I don't need a refund!! I got taken to School once again!! haha
  • Jeff. There is a additional issue with fake stamps, and that is that they might be sold on to someone rlse, pergaps a novice collector, and told that the stamps are real. There is a seller on "another site" who advertises his with the word FACSIMILE in the title and he believes this absolves him from blame, but usually only the back of the cover is labelled as facsimile so someone could buy this cover, cut off the back, (or part of it) and sell it as a genuine part cover. A big worry.
  • How about the terminology "genuine authentic replica"? Now there's creative advertising.
  • Well He has another set in the HipStamp 197th No Reserve Auction Event as we speak and they are at $54.00 and the is 2 days 18+ hours to GO!!!! I can't believe he is doing this , but if its an Auction people are bidding against each other and "SETTING" the price , NOT HIM!! ITHINK THIS STINKS!!!
  • I just saw the C13-15 Reproductions (fakes) on auction now at $55 dollars. When the details are listed it is listed as an authentic stamp. This is shady. Makes you wonder IF those bidding know they are buying 50cent fake lithos? Search c13-15 and you'll see it. I now think there is an issue here. I will never buy from that dealer ever.
  • 1439 listings found.
  • edited September 2020 4 LikesVote Down
    One of the big attractions to this site originally was that fakes and replicas were not allowed, the terms and conditions STILL reflect that.

NOW these are apparently okay. I think we deserve an explanation from management please Mark.
  • edited September 2020 2 LikesVote Down
    These are considered by the government to be counterfeits and this is something the FBI should look into. If this seller is a member of any organization ( APS, ASDA etc. ) they should be reported and expelled.
  • Jeff, did you open a ticket to the staff or have you just made us aware of this situation on the forums?

If no ticket was opened, please do so. The staff needs to know what is going on and they don't always have the time to read each and every thread.
  • TO ALL of you out there in STAMP LAND: YES I DID write H?S Customer service, Got an Email this AM at 6:12 am PST. That this issue had been turned over to TRUST & SAFETY, Ann Taylor DIR. of Support eCommerce wrote and said, "The site has been contacted, The Listing has been taken down be fore the conclusion of the Auction, dealer fined?< and warned this will not be tolerated." The Listing is indeed down off the Auction and off his HipStamp Site!
    This was because the Sites Listing and Actions " DO NOT COMPLY with our terms and Conditions!" Miss Taylor went on to say, "THANK YOU for bringing this to our Attention or Trust & Saftey(COMPLIANCE) dept. try and watch but customers are our unpaid Watchdogs!!" So Strike one for the Good Character of Philatelics Dealers!!!! I wonder if the fine HURT!! hahaha,Dirt bag, they should have Suspended him, HE "KNEW" he was ripping new collectors OFF His Site says he's a member of 3 different Assoc.s and has 15+yr.s in Philatelics!!! Thank you Gentle man for showing me the Path and your Balanced Help!!
  • Chalk up one for the team
  • I AGAIN want to THANK ALL of you who "CHIMED IN" with info and thoughts! Received another THANK YOU from HipStamp today via Email, for bringing the situation to their Attention! Well last I checked the bid was at $59.45 for the Bogus listing of the C13-C15 "REPRODUCTIONS!!" "WE Saved" someone a lot of disappointment!!! And I for one am Very Glad about how, With all of "Your HELP" and I do mean the Royal Your/WE !! Thanks to All who added to the conversation! It was definitely a WIN for the Good Guys!! Be well Jeff!!! ;-))
  • Again the associations he supposedly belonged to should be notified, the seller should be banned from selling on Hip Stamp. This is a travesty to all who sell on here and anyone who have received these bogus items should turn him in to the appropriate authorities for selling counterfeit items.
    It is a disgrace to our whole business.
  • Problem solved ?? Search the top bar

Reproduction 240 items
    Replica 773 items
    Forgery 1441 items

Not all are stamps, some are PO "reproductions" (Cipex sheet) . some are books on how to identify, etc ... ..and think of the tens of thousands of "reproductions, replicas and forgeries" out there listed as genuine stamps ....... buyer beware ... can you guarantee that you have taken the tine to personally authenticate every item you sell? Are all of those pesky Belgium Newspaper stamp overprints genuine ?

Be careful what you wish for and remember that every certificate states it is an "opinion" ...
  • Should he be named ? I think so in this case . Interested in consensus on that question?
  • edited September 2020 1 LikesVote Down
    Rene, I'm not sure about naming the dealer, unless a consensus of you agrees, I thought it was the agreed upon protocal on here. Was I mistaken?? Ah Ron L.,Luree, or Ted anyone agree or disagree?

• Search "CSA" and you will see plenty of fakes. Some identified as such, some not.
  • I think the better course is to bring the matter up to the governing authority for this site - ultimately Mark. Asking for re-iteration/clarification of Hipstamp's policy on what is being discussed here. I find it worthy to bring up the concern though, yet raising it to the level of accusation by name creates a precedent that might produce tentacles beyond the scope here.
  • edited September 2020 4 LikesVote Down
    As a side issue, Carol brings up a good point: namely what are reasonable expectations for a dealer in verifying before listing of stamps that have a reputation of being faked (ie: Scott cataloq notations alluding to a known history of counterfeits)? Does an asking price in line with a genuine example confer a legitimacy? Does the qualification "may be real", "may be fake", "counterfeits known to exist" exempt the seller from recourse under a buyer beware defense, burdening the buyer to prove otherwise? Because of the many stamps worldwide that have been faked, this is no minor problem. Do we exclude all those affected issues because of the possibility? Do we require authentication? A while back I had an early Brazil stamp to list of some value if genuine. I didn't have the means to determine if real or not. I engaged the forum's community to render opinions after downloading a photo of said stamp. The subsequent comments suggested it was a forgery, backing that conclusion by referencing expertizing done on early Brazilian stamps. Ultimately I listed the item as a forgery attributing it to the identified forger. It was offered at a very modest price and eventually purchased. Did I violate Hipstamp rules? Is there a provision here for those collectors who choose to, say, specialize in forgeries .... or are they marginalized for daring to step outside of a "legitimate" collecting field - maybe ok, but not in Hipstamp's backyard?
  • All good comments on this topic that I totally agree with. On a similar subject, what do you do with a listing currently on Hipstamp of an expensive stamp of Italy, Scott #170 listed for $1,800 which I believe is misrepresented. A cert issued by a Swiss expert accompanies the stamp and states it was cancelled on 17 Gen 1924. The stamp was issued in 1923, but on closeup examination of the cancel the last digit in the year date is not visible. You can only read "192". This stamp is known to have been cto cancelled much later when the Lira was worth a lot less, and I believe was probably used around 1929. Scott clearly states that values in italics are for postally used stamps. CTO's sell for about the same as unused hinged stamps. The stamp catalogs $725 unused and $3,950 used. I believe the Cert is in error. Caveat emptor!
This discussion has been closed.