US Scott 347 with small W.C.P.&Co backstamp question

Does anyone have any information as to what W.C.P.&Co means? I recently sold this stamp and both the buyer and I are wondering if this is a dealer backstamp or maybe a company theft control mark Thanks in advance for any insight on this..2a051f2c17cecbcf80bd05cea44ada10-300
f60a809033a20f245daa991e2842391c-300

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited October 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    Stamping or signing the backs of postage stamps was done in the past by people certifying or expertising stamps. We are talking around 100 years ago or so. Not all did that. That is the only thing I can come up with. A Google search does not bring any light on this. But that is an educated guess. I believe that it was a European practice?

• Yeah, I've seen expertizing marks before but they are usually kind of small and not to obtrusive. I probably did the same search you did and came of with a bunch of info on porcelain markings, but nothing on this. This mark kind of suggests to me some corporate or company mark with the "&Co." part of it.
  • The thing is that if it were some type of theft proofing for a business, it would be a bit odd putting the mark on the rear side, I'd think. But , you're right, this is an odd one.
  • It is odd but these kind of things are interesting to me. I always like things that have a "story". Maybe it's a dealer mark. Seems strange that a dealer would put any kind of mark on a stamp beyond what would be considered a normal postal mark though. Owner's mark maybe but still these days, most collectors wouldn't mark their own stamps likewise. Maybe back in the day they would. Everyone knows the BG 1c magenta is covered in owners marks even to this day. I just have never seen this kind of mark before and I always like to find out the story and I'm hoping to figure this out for my buyer and myself. Maybe I sold a real gem to him!!! I hope so!!! Thanks RB!
  • Take good care Greg!
  • Greg,
    There is a site https://www.filatelia.fi/experts/index.html that lists dealers marks. This example is not listed, but maybe if you contact them they may have an idea.
  • Thank you Harry, I'll look into it. Have a great day!
    Greg