Can someone ID these stamps , any help would be appreciated

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I could not find pictures of these stamps in the catalog but the flags on the stamp are from Laos and the writing across the top corresponds with the writing on Laotian stamps. Good luck
  • edited November 2020 3 LikesVote Down
    Wow --

This was actually an interesting little search.

Thanks to Steve's comment about the Laotian writing, in combination with the wartime designs, including the one showing a USAF plane shot down, I was able to do some digging and found that the Pathet Lao issued these stamps during their civil war, where they overthrew the existing government in 1975. All part of the instability and turmoil in Southeast Asia at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathet_Lao

As far as I can tell, these stamps are only listed by Michel (at least among the major catalogs).

It looks like you have part of the set issued in 1974 and both of the stamps issued in 1975.

The catalog prices shown are Euro, so these have some value, and would be worth doing some additional research on (or, at least, not putting these in a glassine for a future swap!).

(The page is from the Michel Sudostasian [Southeast Asia] 2012, vol 2.)

Quite a little find there!

Michel Laos Pathet Lao issues
  • edited November 2020 1 LikesVote Down
    Thank Steve and Phil, I will be able to create some pages with some more digging. this is a good starting point. thanks again