Is a seller required to accept PayPal?

I've been selling online and using Paypal for over 20 years without a problem. Today I got an email indicating that they were banning me forever because of some risk they identified with my business. I contacted them and couldn't get any details about what they found offensive but they did offer to escalate it for appeal. But indicate that it could take a while to be reviewed.

So, my question now is, can I still sell on Hipstamp without a PayPal account? I remember a while ago people were upset with ebay because they required Paypal as the sole electronic payment option (becuse they owned it) and I thought I remembered that was part of the benefit of Hipstamp was that it offered more flexible payment options. Of course, now that it looks like I may be forced into a non-Paypal route, I can't seem to find where I could set up alternative payment options.

Am I missing something, or am I hosed?

Joe

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think this is what you are looking for

https://help.hipecommerce.com/support/solutions/articles/14000112929-what-forms-of-payment-can-i-offer-on-hip-

What forms of payment can I offer on Hip?

Modified on: Sat, 25 Apr, 2020 at 10:33 AM

The default method of payment on Hip is PayPal, and all payments are made directly from the buyer to the seller. Buyers can checkout and pay using either a PayPal account or a credit/debit card without the need for a PayPal account. However, in both cases, all payments will be processed by PayPal.

We also allow sellers to pre-approve specific buyers to allow them to checkout without paying at the time of checkout, which allows payment to be arranged afterward (for example by check or money order). For more details on this feature, please see: How can I enable the Pay Later feature for my store?

Hipstamp may or may not allow a seller to ONLY use the pre-approve options for payments as very very few people do not use the pre-approval to purchase items. (Being a larger seller myself and I do have the pre-approve on my listings almost 99% of the purchases are through Paypal.)
  • Thanks Michael, that's all I saw as well. Paypal is the primary option and no other electronic options are available. As a follow up question - does anyone know where we set the PayPal account information? I know I must've set it up when I joined but I don't see anyplace to update it with a new account.

Joe
  • I have noticed a number of Ebay sellers also recently being banned by PayPal. The consensus of opinion is that these users had been abusing the "friends & family" free paypal service to avoid paying commercial transaction fees.
  • Whew! My call to PayPal support payed off. They had real humans review my case and this morning they sent an email saying that I was not in violation of the acceptable use policy so my account was reinstated.

That was an eye-opening 24 hours where you realize just how much hinges on Paypal and the near-monopoly they have in online payment services.

Joe
  • I have my own merchant credit card accounts wit a Canadian bank, and they are rarely used by internet customers, but are used by my traditional snail mail customers . Paypal can be easier to deal with than traditional banks when setting up merchant credit card accounts. At some point some of the things coming along like Apple Pay and Google, and I'm sure that there are others , may give Paypal some real competition but at the moment my internet customers seem to be happy with Paypal, and I am happy with Paypal.
  • Members Area > Store is where you set your PayPal account on HipStamp:
    https://www.hipstamp.com/members/store/setup
  • Thanks Mark. I knew it was out there somewhere but the Paypal 'pemanent ban' had me in a tailspin and I couldn't find it.

Joe
  • edited December 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    Glad it was resolved Joe. Brings up a lot of questions on the changing options for Payments at a lot of other sites. Perhaps even Hipstamp is looking at expanding options? :-) With Ebay changing its Paypal relationship with forced managed payments I would imagine Paypal is changing. may be a great time to expand options. Ecrater and Delcampe includes Stripe others like ebay, etsy, amazon got their own payment systems in place, some are through third parties
  • There's this untested third party payment site "Ron Lenke collections" based in Tahiti whose motto is "once you've sent your cash payment you'll never be bothered again". I've tried it and can say I've never lost any money with them.
  • Hipstamp is relatively new to me and while on Ebay 15 years+ my preferred payment is "PAYPAL" (Which is tied to my debit/checking account) I don't remember signing up for it over ten years ago. I have never had ANY trouble with my PayPal account. But I refuse to use PAYPAL CREDIT so when Hipstamp asks to give my checking account information to check out I get squeamish. I guess I'm asking is the security on Hipstamp as I believe it is on Ebay.
    BTW, I've used PayPal on other sites never had any problems. I had a great time shopping Hipstamp but I'm afraid to check out. Any thoughts?
  • When I go to checkout, you are given the option to pay with PayPal or use PayPal Credit. The default is PayPal. I don't see an option asking for your checking account info. I would try to check out again and would only use one of the PayPal options.
  • To pay by check, or other method directly to a seller, you must contact the seller and request approval to do so.
  • My Husband is having major problems with his Hipstamp and we even called Paypal and they lied about the transactions that never got paid to my husbands account and apparently refunded the BUYER AND THEY KEPT THE PRODUCTS!!! We NEED a LIVE PERSON to help and Hipstamp has one number and that is DISCONNECTED!!! WHAT DO WE DO???
  • If you have not tried already, send an email to support@hipecommerce.com and explain the issue to them. They will get back with you...it might take a day or two though but they will respond.
  • Also, when you post an off-topic response, your post is not seen as you intend. HipStamp staff check the posts looking for those having problems. They will never find it in here. With a new topic, create a new post.