Is this #12 Prototype valuable?

I have a stamp that a rare stamp dealer told me was a prototype of Scott #12, not the actual final issue of #12. Since there would have been substantially fewer prototypes made than the actual final issue of that stamp, wouldn't the prototype be worth more than a few hundred dollars? (But not as valuable as an MNH stamp of the actual issue.) If not, why not? This is the best I can do as far as including an image as I'm not very advanced technically. I'd sure appreciate some help with this
20201031_153836

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well, it is difficult to tell you specifically about your stamp, but rather to comment on your other inquiries. First of all, vernacular---it it not referred to as a prototype, but more appropriately an essay proof. There are many versions and it may be a 12TC1 (color proof) or a 12P , but you need to an appropriate evaluation so i would recommend investing in a APS expertization. Be prepared that it also may be a forgery. That is why an expert must lay eyes on it. Value is determined by demand. Many items that are few in number are of little value if the collector demand is not there. Collecting essay proofs is a sub specialty of philately ( one I enjoy).
    https://www.theswedishtiger.com/12-scotts.html
  • This issue is known in black in the Trial Color proofs, both the 12TC1a and the 12TC5h. Though the color looks a bit muted to me to be black. The 12TC1a is printed on India paper, so this should be easy to detect (2 ways, one, pick it up and rub it gently between your finger and thumb, if it feels "slick" it's likely India paper, 2 put it in a watermark tray, face down, cover it in fluid (don't be shy) if it's india paper it will appear to almost disappear (looks more like gelatin) and the image will be easily visible from the back. It' its a 12TC5 on wove paper, that will be more like a stamp. If that's the case, it's much more likely it is the 12TC5h. However, the 3rd option is, its a chemically altered #12, intended to create a "new color 12" to try and fool someone into thinking it's a unique stamp. For that I'd have to have it in hand, but I would suggest, if you have access to a microscope (or even a really strong zoom on a camera lens), zoom in close on the edges of the design around the side projections. Then look for traces of brown, (or another color). If you can see it, then you know you've got a chemically altered stamp. Balance of probability, it's a used #12 with a removed cancel, and the cancelation removal altered the color, as a 12TC1a has a value of $8,500 and a 12TC5h has a CV of $5,000 where a used #12 is $750.