Mailing envelopes

I just got accosted at the Post Office from a USPS worked because I have a Do Not Bend Stamp on my letters. I've mailed hundreds before just like this. I supposed I won't add Do Not Bend any longer and just ensure stamps are secured as much as possible in something more stiff. I even have a customer stamp that reads "Thank you USPS team member for your hardwork and dedication". Bah.... last time is use that. I know it has to do with the machine they run the mail through, but I seriously doubt it makes a difference or they need to hire someone better at robotics. How hard can it be?'

Clint

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you stamp it "Do Not Bend" they are required to add a "non-machinable" surcharge. This is not new - it has been this way for several years. It also must be able to pass through the go-no go template which checks for size and thickness to differentiate envelopes from parcels. Again - not new.
  • Again - better robotics
  • Change to to "DO NOT FOLD"
  • edited January 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    I send out about a hundred 1-2 oz packets and envelopes per month with Forever stamps and a big red "DO NOT BEND" sticker on them. Never had a problem other than the rare lost mail.

Had a discussion with a USPS Postal Clerk a while back. He pointed out that what I really mean is "DO NOT FOLD" as my packets and envelopes can be bent slightly. Sorting machines handle First Class Mail without a problem so the sticker is really a heads-up to the mailman stuffing mailboxes and to the recipient.
  • Do not bend is strictly for non-machinable letters which has a $0.15 surcharge. I always send out my items with a stiff cardboard inside, the big red DO NOT BEND label and the now cost of $0.85 in stamps for a 2 ounce rate. My counter people know that everything I send is under 1/4 inch thick and they are in either a 6x9 envelope or a # 12 envelope. I also use 2 sheets of 110 lb card stock folded over if the items are too thick.
    I do not want my customers having to pay postage due even though it is rare when the post office even checks for it. The post office has enough problems just trying to keep up with the packages they have coming through.

• Note that the surcharge and the additional ounce rate goes up to 20 cents in a few weeks. First ounce remains at 55 cents.
  • And the post card rate goes up to 36 Cents. Not to mention rates increasing for other types of service, such as Priority, etc.
  • It goes up on January 24th.
  • This lady I dealt with had a chip on her shoulder - probably always has this attitude. She was very rude to the lady in front of me also. The lady was just asking questions about how to use priority mail express. I guess I will get a DO NOT FOLD stamp -maybe.
  • Michael - UK Royal Mail prices have gone up AGAIN on the 1st. January.THAT'S 4 PRICE INCREASES in the last 12 months.