Packaging Items

Hello everyone,
I just opened a store here on HipStamp and am working on getting items listed. I was just wondering how to go about packaging the items. Is there anything that I should NOT do when packaging? Also, Iv'e seen some posts regarding Do Not Bend vs Do Not Fold. What is the difference?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When you send items by first class mail they go through machines that will bend items and can even destroy items in them. A deliverer of your mail will some times fold items to put them in a mail box and you have to bend an item to fold it.
    Stamps, covers. post cards and other items can be destroyed if you bend them.
    I have been shipping items for over 40 years and have always sent inexpensive items with a piece of card board backing as first class non-machinable mail which will soon have a $0.20 surcharge and have marked them with a Do Not Bend stamp or label on both sides and have never had a problem.
    Make sure the envelope is not over a 1/4 inch thick since if it is it will have to go as a first class package which will cost a lot more.
    Make sure that when you take it to the post office to mail that it is dropped into the non-machinable bin other wise it will go through the machine. I always bring it in and hand it to the person behind the counter and they know me and take care of it properly.
  • Hi Kimberly,
    Follow Mr.O'Malley's sage advice. use the "Non-Machinable" rate & have your Post Office stamp it such. Hand writting "Do Not Bend" on the envelope is a waste of time. Like Bill did.. build a report with your local counter folks. For larger & costlier items I suggest using a hard card mailer. The P.O. has a great product called a ReadyPost Photo Document Mailer. 6''X10'' it fits the Large Envelope rate. They cost about $1.50 Very very practical Kim. Fed-Ex has a version too. or check your local office supply store.
    Kim.. External packaging is just 1/2 the issue.. what I will call internal packaging is just as, if not more important.. your Presentation. do not be afraid to invest in new 102 or 104 cards, manila stock cards & black Approval Cards for better
    items. The payoff for you will be happy customers, great Feedback (I am frequently complimented in my Store on packaging), & a Store known for its professionalism. I know doing it right is important to you by the insightful questions
    you ask in the Forums here. Much Success.. Dan
  • Hi,I am a small seller & for small items they go in a small resealable bag (65mm x 75mm) & bigger items in a bigger bag or plastic wrapped & attach to a stiffener.Since 2002 I have sold over 10,000 items with no complaint but protect against water damage.
  • Yes I use Polly bags also. That is the best way to insure against water damage. Presentation is always important. I have had thousands of positive feedback through the years on my packaging besides the usual compliments on the items I sell.
  • Hello,

Just to confirm, the current surcharge on a rigid letter is 20 cents? So one forever stamp plus 20 cents for each one marked DO NOT BEND. I guess I need to buy some sheets with 10 to 20 cent stamps. So far I've sent countless letters that were rigid and marked without the surcharge and never had a problem, but I'm a protocol guy and now that I know I will have to send each letter under 1 oz. with 75 cents postage.

Thanks

Thanks