Permit to Use Precancelled Postage

I have had a permit to use precancelled postage for over 35 years in many towns where I have lived. I am trying to get one now where I have my PO Box because the little town where I presently live and have a valid permit is only open 3 hours a day. I can't make it during open hours to mail items using precancelled postage.
The postmaster where I have my PO Box has never heard of a permit to use precancelled postage with other than bulk mailers. I'm no bulk mailer. She is determined to charge me $245 per year for having a permit. It's a simple process, OR SO I THOUGHT. It's suppose to be free. The rules are pretty well laid out in the DMM section 604.3.0. 604.3.5 addresses how stamp collectors can use this free permit. I know what the rules have always been. Get the permit using form 3615, no fee, marked FIRST CLASS MAIL (604.3.3d), franked with the correct amount of postage (55c worth 604.1.2). The piece can not be deposited in a collection box (604.3.1.6). Other DMM rules are 604.3.2, 604.3.3 and 604.3.5.
Does ANYONE have SOMETHING in SIMPLE language how this process so that I can present it to the postmaster?
So far I have contacted the USPS itself (jumping over her head), and the APS hoping to get something that I can present to this postmaster. I was hoping maybe even Linns might have an archived article on how to do it. I know that is where I learned of it in the 1980's or early 1990's.
Has anyone else out there had any experiences with this permit? I've got well over $500 worth of precancelled stamps (real precancels, service inscribed, bulk, non profit, etc..) to use up.
Any info would be appreciated from anyone who's had dealings with the Post Office.

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have had my permit since the 1980's when the USPS started issuing the transportation coils as service inscribed stamps or with service inscribed overprints. I have never had an issue here in Duncan, Oklahoma, except for one instance where one of the postal clerks did not believe it was possible to use those stamps on regular mail (as in your case). There was no convincing her and the nasty looks that she gave me was infuriating. So I just avoided her and went to one of the other postal clerks instead (I realize you don't have this option). That was many years ago and I haven't had any issues since.

I just received the new USPS Philatelic catalog in the mail yesterday. It is the one place where you can order the service inscribed stamps as short strips to obtain the plate number coil strips or singles. The following statement is printed below the one such stamp presently being offered for sale to collectors:

Note: Precanceled stamps, including First-Class Presort, non-denominated bulk rate, and nonprofit stamps are used by large-volume mailers who prepare mailings at various presort levels. These stamps may be used to pay regular postage by authorized mailers. Permit is required (see USPS Domestic Mail Manual for details). The denomination shown denotes the selling price for non-denominated stamps. Not valid for foreign postage.

Go to the USPS website and order one of these catalogs (they are free). Then show her this paragraph along with all the other information you have already gathered. She should be able to supply you with the required form to get the permit. That in itself should show her that using these stamps for First Class Mail is possible and allowed as long as the regulations are followed. Since you are already familiar with the regulations, that should not be a problem.

Hope this helps.
  • Interesting. They print it up in their very own philatelic catalog. Yet, no one in the USPS seems to know the rules on HOW to do this anymore.
  • The personnel here in Duncan where I live have no problem. I think it is just one individual in your case, and if she is the clerk and postmaster all rolled into one and has an attitude on top of it, then you have a problem.

Try the catalog information with all the other information that you have. You may already have a permit, but get another one through her and fill it out in her presence. I am pretty sure that the permit itself describes how it can be used. And since this permit is free, she can't try and charge you anything for it.

If that still doesn't work, is there another post office close enough to you where you could fill out that form and mail from there instead? When I lived in Anchorage, Alaska, I had to travel to the main post office and go in the back where the bulk mail was handled to mail off anything using the service inscribed stamps. The small local branch post office that I usually dealt with sent me there to handle all such mail. Again, they may not have understood the process but at least they gave me an alternative.

And no, most postal clerks do not know all the ins and outs of esoteric services such as this. Here in Duncan when I applied for my permit back around 1990, I was only the second person to do so. The city and local area that use this post office has a population probably in excess of 25,000 people. So the odds of her ever having to deal with this before is exceedingly small.
  • I think the application form 3615 itself states no fee in the section you would fill out. The version of the form I completed (twice) was from 1995.
  • edited January 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    It appears things MAY have changed. The latest Form 3615 is dated August 2020 and mentions fees in severak places. Whether it has to do with only presorted or not I don't know. Pull up the latest version and use your own judgement. I tagged the fee page - here is the link

https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/Notice123.pdf

You need to scroll to page 37 ( I think )
  • 3615 is the presort form that would allow a bulk mailer to get a discount on their postage.
    On page 1029 is the reference to the use by collectors for the use precancel stamps under 604.3.5 but there is no mention of the permit being free.
  • edited January 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    I just did a search of the USPS website for Form 3615 and could not find it. It is referenced repeatedly, but no copy can be brought up on your computer screen as far as I can determine. You will have to ask for this form from the postal clerk. Carol, if you can provide an actual link to the form that you referenced, that would help.

I did find the following paragraphs in various places among the enormous amount of information published on the USPS website. The paragraphs confirm the ability to use service inscribed stamps on First Class mail. After taking a look at all the various services and the rules and regulations governing them, I can understand why a single postal clerk may not understand that you can actually use those stamps as First Class Mail postage. Here where I live there are probably six or eight individual clerks that may tend to customers at the service windows in the Post Office. I have noticed that only one specific clerk handles the bulk mail mailing and only at specific times and only at one specific lobby window.

Anyway, here is what I found including the headings. I hope you find this useful.

Stamp Collectors

Subject to USPS policy in 608.4.0, precanceled postage may be bought for
    philatelic purposes as well as postage payment. A stamp collector may mail
    matter bearing precanceled postage if the collector has a permit to use
    precanceled postage at the Post Office where the mail is presented. Creating
    philatelic oddities or precanceling issues or denominations that would not
    otherwise see legitimate mail use is not permitted. Mail orders must include a
    stamped, self-addressed envelope.

Postage Stamps Valid for Use

All postage stamps issued by the United States since 1860, unless listed in 1.3,
    are valid for postage from any point in the United States or from any other place
    where U.S. Mail service operates. Precanceled stamps may be used to pay
    regular postage and fees for extra services if the mailpiece is endorsed under the
    standards for the class of mail and service requested. Precanceled postage may
    be used only by permit holders authorized under 3.0. Unless excepted by
    standard, the total postage affixed must equal at least the postage charge for the
    class of the mail and, if applicable, the fee for the extra service requested. All
    nondenominated postage and makeup price stamps, including official mail
    stamps, are valid at the original prices of issue. Exception: Semipostal stamps.

1.3 Postage Stamps Invalid for Use
    The following are not valid to pay postage for U.S. domestic or U.S.-originated
    international mail:
    a. Postage due, special delivery, special handling, and Certified Mail stamps.
    b. Stamps of other countries.
    c. United Nations stamps, unless on mail deposited at the United Nations, NY.
    d. U.S. stamps that are mutilated or defaced; cut from stamped envelopes,
    aerogrammes, or stamped cards; covered or coated in such a manner that
    canceling or defacing marks cannot be printed onto the stamps; or
    overprinted with an unauthorized design, message, or other marking.
    e. Nonpostage stamps, such as migratory-bird hunting and conservation
    stamps, U.S. saving and thrift stamps.
  • Carol,

Thanks for the link.

After looking over this form, it appears to only apply to those who plan to use the service inscribed stamps for their intended purpose (pre-sort, bulk rate, etc.). It is not intended for authorization of use of service inscribed stamps on First Class Mail. Although it has been decades ago, I remember that there was no fee charged and that the local post office retained the completed form for their records - I was not given anything in regards to a copy, receipt, etc.

If I get a chance, I will check with one postal clerk that I know very well and ask him about the correct form to get this approval. If nothing else, he may be able to see my completed form that was filed away years ago and from that get the appropriate form number from that. It is also possible that form numbers and forms themselves have changed significantly over the years and this information won't be useful.
  • I'm starting to see that the permit to use precanceled postage has been antiquated. I think once we can find absolutely clear wording, every collector should go to their respective post office and get a permit to use up their precancelled postage they have sitting in a cigar box somewhere. All the transportation coils, service inscribed, bulk, non-profit, presort stamps, etc....
    Something I did NOT know. Those annoying extra official stamps and stationary we also have. Really??? Excellent!!! .
  • I inquired of the PO today and was told those permits were best suited for people who mailed a minimum of 500 pieces of mail over the course of 1 year. What say all you?
  • I asked for help at my Post Office today, including checking with the employee I thought might know about this topic. Both of the people I checked with were clueless. They did promise to ask one employee they thought might know, but he was not at work today. They said they may have some information by sometime next week. This was not any empty promise, they will find out for me if possible.

If I was the last one to ask for such a permit, then it has been at least 30 years since someone has done so. I can understand why they don't know anything about this topic.

But now I am a bit curious as to why none of the clerks have questioned my use of these stamps on my First Class mail all these years. I always just walk up to the window, hand them the envelope(s) and ask for the stamps to be canceled and the envelope(s) to be sent off as First Class mail. I do have First Class Mail rubber stamped under the stamps and on the bottom left corner of each envelope.
  • Section B, Number 2, Precancel Stamp Authorization is what you want.

Note the comment at the bottom of Section B regarding one *: an annual mailing fee is required to present presorted mail. We would not be presenting presorted mail, therefore there is no fee that applies to us.
  • I never checked to see whether I had saved any clippings from Linn's on this topic until this evening. I just assumed that I did not. To my amazement, I had a dedicated file folder just for this topic with a number of old clippings and even my Anchorage, Alaska, permit present within it. They have now been scanned in with the articles and permit copied below.

The first clipping is from 1988 and gives a good overview of the subject. The only problem is that the referenced Form 3620 no longer apparently exists. A search of the USPS website for "Form 3620" did not give any relevant results. In addition the Form 3602 that they reference may now be similar to present day Form 3615.

Article 3

The second clipping is from 1992 and again gives a good overview of the subject. Sorry if the print is difficult to read.

Article 1

The last clipping is also from 1992.

Article 2

And finally, my permit from when I lived in Anchorage, Alaska. Again, Form 3620 is referenced on the bottom left corner of this permit.

Anchorage Permit

I had checked with my local post office personnel and they had no clue. One guy did pursue the subject with the person there who apparently handles all the presorted mail and he left a copy of Form 3615 in my PO Box (the same form Carol provided a link for above). This form invites confusion if you try and use it for our purpose and really doesn't fit the application that we are pursuing.

One interesting thing about all this is that when I asked the local postal employees about the form that I had completed all those years ago and said that the Postmaster should have a copy, it was if I was visiting Hogwarts and had just mentioned the name of "He who must not be named". They would refuse eye contact and immediately switched the subject. I have a couple of envelopes to mail tomorrow (Monday) that have Presorted First Class and Nonprofit Organization stamps on them, so I will need to hand them over to a clerk for cancellation. I am going to have all my clippings, Anchorage permit and Philatelic stamp catalog with me and will see if I can force the issue on seeing the Postmaster. If nothing else, I will leave them all totally confused. Hope they don't take their frustration out on me.
  • I always wondered about using the Nonprofit and presorted stamps on everyday mail. Please let us all know.
  • edited February 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    I have used such stamps for decades. I have permits in two different post offices to do so. I have never had a problem with any clerk not accepting my mail with such stamps on them.

The key is that we would use these stamps to pay the full first class rate. We do not take a bulk discount, thus no fee.
  • Here are a few links that might help.
    You may be able to show the first one to the Local Postmaster.
    The last one is more of a reference as none of the fees apply for a Precancel Permit

How to Apply For a Permit to Use Precanceled Stamps
    https://pe.usps.com/BusinessMail101?ViewName=PrecanceledStampsApplication

Form 3615
    https://about.usps.com/forms/ps3615.pdf

Mailing Permit
    https://pe.usps.com/businessmail101?ViewName=MailingPermit

Fees Associated with Permit Imprint and Return Services
    https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Fees-Associated-with-Permit-Imprint-and-Return-Services
  • Does a permit to use precanceled stamps allow you to use a Washington DC precanceled stamp in another city?
  • I understand what you are all saying. I use a lot of postage from my "lick and stick" box and sometimes have a precancel in a denomination that fits my needs. I use it in a group of other valid stamps and no one has ever questioned my use. It is small and occasional, but seems to work fine.
    I worry that now I am a target for prosecution and jail time - so do not be a taddle-tail on me.
  • Haha. I pronounce it that way too. Are you from New England? No tattle-tales here.
  • I'm confused concerning this topic. I never got an answer concerning using a Washington DC or even a Baltimore precanceled stamp on mail sent from my PO in NC, if I obtain a permit. Am I to assume that you can't and everyone thought that was a dumb question to ask?
  • I have been sending off HipStamp orders lately using service inscribed stamps. I haven't had any problems until today. I usually just hand the envelopes over to a clerk, ask to have the stamps canceled and the envelopes sent first class and the transaction is over.

However, today was different. I had three orders to mail off and when I handed the envelopes to one of the clerks that I see at the window regularly, she quickly stated that I could not use the 5 Cent Seacoast stamp (nonprofit org.) that I had used to go along with two of the 25 Cent Star Quilts (presorted first class) stamps. Confused, I stated that had been using them for years on my mail, why was she questioning their use now? She said to check my PO Box because I had an envelope returned to me and there was a note on it saying that it was an improper use of this stamp.

Sure enough, the envelope had been returned to me from Glenburn, Maine.

Returned Envelope - No Name

Rather than try to send it off again, I took the envelope home and will resend tomorrow enclosed in a small photo-mailer along with a note explaining why their order had been delayed. I am sure whoever sent this back from Glenburn, Maine, would return it again if the same type of stamps were used.

I am also going to send a letter to the postmaster at Glenburn, Maine, quoting all the pertinent parts of their own manual that states that these stamps can be used on first class mail as postage and politely ask that they educate their employees in regards to this issue. If Glenburn is a small enough community that the Postmaster is also the clerk, so much the better - they will be sure to get the message.

I am also going to print off a copy of this letter and give it to the clerk at my post office because she is now doubting my ability to use these stamps on first class mail. We did get into a somewhat heated discussion and I requested that she actually read through the USPS manual to check their own rules on how these service inscribed stamps can be used. What was even worse, after repeatedly asking to have someone check my permit to use these stamps that they were supposed to have on file, one employee finally admitted that their postmaster several years ago had decided to throw away all printed records, only retaining computer records. So my own permit that was supposed to be on file has been thrown away by the USPS.

If you have an individual employee that is trying to prevent improper use of service inscribed stamps (revenue protection), I can understand that. But they do need to understand their own rules to prevent these type of issues. I will now have to spend more on postage to have this envelope delivered to the recipient and his receipt of his order will have been delayed. What frustrates me the most, however, is all the stamps that are not canceled that I receive (a big majority). And then I read all the articles of mail being thrown away and not delivered, all the counterfeit stamps being sold openly without any apparent attempt to stop the sellers from doing so, and I wonder what is going on with the United States Postal Service.
  • Well as a former resident of Glenburn, Maine I can tell you that I have often had serviced inscribed stamps on purchases without any problem. Glenburn does not have it's own Post Office. That is handled through Bangor, Maine (same zip code). I hope this was not my purchase and I am certainly content with your service. USPS not so much.
  • What is really frustrating is KNOWING the rules, FOLLOWING the rules exactly and encountering folks who are simply not interested in making the effort to do ANYTHING outside of their small, easy routines. Maddening.
  • Well, the pre-sort stamps are not valid without the mailer permit either.

When I send mail using service inscribed stamps, I write on the envelope near the stamps, "First Class Mail Permit #(permit number here)". You have to mail the item from the post office from which the permit was issued, and hand it to a clerk. I have never had any problems doing it that way.
  • I understand the frustration, but truthfully I would rather my mailing GOT THERE than saving a few pennies. Ergo, I do NOT use precancelled stamps of any kind including service inscribed. I understand what RB said above but the postal service no longer follows logic and much mail is sorted quickly by machines or dolts. If I am fooling around, that is one thing. But, if I am sending a stamp, no way.
  • Hi,
    If you cannot figure out your position I would like to buy your pprecancelledcancelled stamps. I belive in any mailing the the post office gets the majority. If you solve the mystery I would like to know how it works.
    Regards
    Bruce
  • How do you use precancelled stamps in the mailing process,
    Sincerely,
    Bruce M. Abrash
  • Bruce scroll up on ths post for links to the regulations. I suggest if something is really needing to arrive, do not try to use them because , knowing the current situation with the USPS, the risk is yours for delay or non delivery.