Newbie Here....signed up at GASS

Hello Everyone...

I first heard about Hipstamp a year or so ago from the ubiquitous Ted on YouTube. I'd been considering joining and the three attractive young ladies at the Great American Stamp Show convinced me. (Great marketing strategy!

Comments

• 42 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome !
    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here. Most of the time we can help fairly quickly (plus you get to enjoy the wise cracks made by the likes of Ron, Ted, Greg......and me, amongst others).
  • Hi Kirs, do you have a store? Are you a seller, or buyer or both?
  • Yes welcome! You also get to meet, occasionally, George's dog Mouse, my cat Bentley, John's pet beaver (I forgot his name), Ron's friendly pet (I forgot his name too), Scott's pet mayfly, and several other philatelic critters. Enjoy!
  • Scott...I'm A little of both.

George...I can crack wise with the best of them ;o)
  • Oh my. Does that officially make me an influencer? Just remember, Kris, if you run across any problems, here, it’s Ron Lenke’s fault.
  • Hi Kris, enter (if you dare) but, please, we have enough GASS in here and with frequent flaming, we are recognized by our singed eyebrows ( and Ted's toasted nose hairs)
  • Ted...yes, I consider you an influencer(influenza?) . I think you're also responsible for introducing me to AlbumEasy. It works great for my currency collection too.

Ron....GASS was the first stamp show I ever attended and I'm still decompressing. Be on the lookout for any shrapnel.
  • edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    I did put up three lots of Indian FDCs in my humble little store just to learn the ins and outs of this electronical gizmo. Any constructive criticism is welcome. I think I have them reasonably priced and shipping (from the Land of Arnold Palmer!) is free.
  • Ladies and gentlemen! It appears that we have a new player!!!! :smiley:
  • My pet's name is peeve, but please don't pet my peeve.
  • I've heard it called lots of names, but never a 'peeve' (and not even drunk would I consider petting it)...
  • Whoo boy! That's what I, usually, call it.
  • GASS was a lot of fun, my wife and two girls are cachet makers and were in the bourse. I got to meet the Hip Stamp ladies and they were very helpful and kind! Love Hip Stamp! Welcome Kris!

The most enjoyable $5 I spent at either the Coin or stamp show was picking out this bucket of stamps.

There is a 2¢ Columbian in here!
  • Returned from GASS last evening. Had a good time, and spoke with someone at the HipStamp booth about the recent changes to listing on HipStamp. He lives in the Chicago area, but works on the HipComics site. He was surprised about all the listing problems, stating "that can't be true".They were giving away free caps to new subscribers to HipStamp. I managed to weasel a cap out of him. Nice grey baseball cap with Hip logo on front in white. Now all you old-time members of HipStamp can request your free cap. I will wear mine to the Hollywood Florida Stamp Club meeting.
  • 1629132493966-133247216

I got the tumbler
  • I saw those too, but prefered the cap. Did they offer you a cap?
  • Yeah...I had a choice...
    I have LOTS of hats
  • Is that a Brümate tumbler? Mine looks like this:

IMG_20210817_214950[1]Small
    Kris, just a few small things that will make your listings better.
    I would suggest using larger size images first of all. Some things you really do want the clarity, and items sell better when buyers can see a good clean image, that even if they resize, remains crisp.
    And most importantly, do shots of front and back, and specialties when needed to make a point (like comparing bluish paper with non-bluish paper so people can see the difference in that item compared to its non-bluish counterpart), or a USIR watermark on a postage stamp (271a, 272a) that kind of thing.

You have some covers laying on a textured surface. i recommend getting something black to put behind them. 99% of the time I present material with a black background, the other 1% I present it on white background (there are a few things, like Loewenberg Essays that present better when placed on white, but these are unusual circumstances).

The other thing is, instead of a camera, use a good quality 600dpi minimum scanner. The very compact Canon P215II is a great choice here too. It scans items in a dealer card (you can even put fluid in with the items on the dealer card, and scan that to show watermarks!). It gives a much cleaner image (all of our listings are done with either the P208II or the P215II or the rare occasion, by photograph, where items just don't work in the scanner). Having done this for decades, I have found this scanner method to be much faster than photographing as well.

But you know, up to you. I would also suggest to get things as "square" as you can. Items at an angle present weird in most circumstances, and again wisdom shows that sales are higher when the image quality is high.
  • I actually used a scanner ...with black construction paper as a background
  • I'm referring to your group of covers. Looks like they are laying on your carpet...
  • Oh, yeah...the covers are laying on my carpet
  • Well, I made my first purchase....

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/romania-c151-60-mnh-cv-800-s1742l/11580696

The first 10 people to orbit the earth. I think I have them all already, but as CTOs.
    I'll make a nice album for them.

The USPS should make a series commemorating the 12 men who walked
    on the moon.
  • I agree that USA should produce the moon set, but 4 are still alive.
  • That’s perfect, John. I like collecting the first 2 rows and the header, rather than complete panes, so 8 is ideal.
  • They should at least issue a stamp for Neil Armstrong
    What about Alice Kramden?
  • honeymooners
    USA-4414t
    She already has a stamp, sort of. At least her shoulder does.