Rose Parade / Pan Pacific Cover

Well, I totally missed the staples in this cover (it does contain a letter), but I still don't think I overpaid for it.Cover-Rose Parade

Comments

• 34 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thats a nice cover, Pasadena CA, 1912 with an ad-cancel for the Pan Pacific Expo n 1915. I marched for three years in the Rose Parade with the Los Angeles Unified All City Band, a LONG parade where you marched for 7 miles ( and developed a longstanding dislike of horses , especially when you are wearing white shoes). We marched with the Ohio State and USC Marching Bands one year, played Disneyland and in 1977 did the SuperBowl.... all those memories with that cover.
  • Do you think I should remove the staples??
  • Just my humble opinion... I like your cover Kris. The staples were used to hold Photographs in place.. not shifting damaging the cover.. While not common, it is far from uncommon. The staples do NOT (IMHO) constitute Damage like a missing backflap, tear or reduction. If you list in your store you must mention them but do Not price the cover down as damaged. DO NOT REMOVE THEM!
    Yes,- it is a bit of a strech to establish Concurrence.. 3 years apart.. different cities.. different type of Event.. But the cover really does not strike me as an undue 'Philatelic Contrivence' it has a real
    flair that captures the Era, the time & place.. You will learn to see the intangable Kris if you collect
    Covers seriously. The Color Cachet is outstanding.. You did good kid..

• I have a counter view to Dan on this one...
    I would remove them, because staples will rust over time. Unless you can keep it climate controlled, the longer it's there the more likely it is to cause damage to the cover in the long term.
    Staples are made from steel (and not the stainless kind). Given time, it will corrode.
    I vote, take it out. It adds nothing to the cover, and it's removal, done carefully, will result in no damage to the cover.
  • edited August 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    really nice cover! let us know when you list it? :-)
    being a long time California nut.. wondering though what the Cal-Rodgers Rodgers areoplane is all about?
    any back cancels or notes? letter have any info on Pasadena or a plane? Crash cover? :-)

https://www.nationalaviation.org/our-enshrinees/rodgers-calbraith-cal/
  • Jerry, that's why I'm tempted to remove to remove the staples. So I can read the letter inside and see if it mentions "Rodgers airplane"
  • edited August 2021 2 LikesVote Down
    Cal Rodgers was an aviation pioneer who made the first transcontinental flight across the US in his plane, "Vin Fiz."
    He landed at Tournament Park in Pasadena, on November 5, 1911, less than 2 months before the Rose Parade of 1912.
    He was not the Grand Marshal of the parade, but perhaps he was featured in it or honored in some other way.
    not sure how the professionals do it but I use top quality stamp tongs and bend back the staple parts then use the same tongs to gently remove staple. not sure if this is a good way to do it safely? head visor would help (ok , I'm a jeweler) :-)
  • Thanks for the info Ted.

I see Cal Rodgers was born (and buried) in Pittsburgh. I think I'm gonna have to check out the letter.
  • that would be very exciting if he wrote the letter? or it was flown by him.
  • edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    Rodgers did carry a mail pouch, though this cancel date does not jibe with his flight dates. Here's a page of Rodgers flight covers that may interest some. The 8th one down has an interesting ancillary postmark.
    https://stampauctionnetwork.com/f/f861.cfm
  • well, that does it.

I'm getting out my Optivisor and removing those staples. I've GOT to read the letter now!
  • If there's a Vin Fiz stamp inside, start yelling 'Eureka!!!'
    Well,it's not from Rodgers, but still an interesting letter from the adressee's niece.
    Eight pages on vellum, with a nice description of the Rose parade, a complaint about the price of turkey in California (35 cents a lb.!...head, neck, and all!....we ate chicken), and a request for her aunt to price French plumes(?) at Kaufmann's.

The Rodgers tie-in is near the end. Carnation not included.

Cover-Rose-letter8-Rogers tie-in
    wow.. fun item!

35C pound! that had to be a huge amount in 1911! $5 pound today?
  • I dont think there were many turkeys in California 110 years ago, Jerry. and there were less than 100,000 insulated rail cars in service at the time

and I love the way she spelled "areoplane"
  • Jerry, apparently you don't buy many turkey's either. ><
    Cost per pound around November when they go on sale for Thanksgiving is usually around 37c - 39c a pound. So 110 years on, the price per pound of turkey amusingly doesn't seem to have changed much. :) (This at the usual suspects, depending on what area of the US you may live in, Giant, Kroger, Aldi, Safeway... I think Costco might be even lower. I think Costco in Japan I paid around 53c a pound... and those are all flown in from the US.
    $5 a pound... smoked turkey at the deli maybe...
    yes since my Wife passed, i have changed my eating habits and Turkey is too big! LOL though i have to admit to being a chicken eater! reminds me of the organic watermelon at whole foods in Vegas (7hills area).. was $2.50 a pound! I do think it would have been an interesting place - Pasadena in 1912- if i remember correctly it is a foothills town? I was down in San Diego County in the sticks
  • I mostly eat Bachelor Show (Futurama reference)
  • Scott, I believe Jerry was estimating a per pound equivalent in today's dollars. 37c/lb in 1911 would be quite high.
  • "I dont think there were many turkeys in California 110 years ago" Looking across the California horizon today, that's debatable
  • "Scott, I believe Jerry was estimating a per pound equivalent in today's dollars. 37c/lb in 1911 would be quite high. "

yes, and A gallon of gas cost seven cents, and a loaf of bread five cents; a medium-priced home was $2,750
    I was referring to Jerry's comment that "$5 pound today?" Ah... I see that was a comparison. Not what the cost of a Turkey is today. :)

BUT, that turns out, is off the mark as well. 35c equivalent in 1915 would be $9.46 today (so near $10 a pound!). So yes, a VERY expensive turkey indeed. The value of $1 in 1915 in today's currency is equivalent of $27.03.
    WOW! I wonder what she paid for Chicken! we have raised both Chickens and Turkeys for eggs and as pet in California. not much into eating the pets though. LOL :-) they just too cute! . Wish i could say the same for the coyotes. they eat anything moving.. LOL
  • The chicken was $1.35 and weighed less than 4 lbs., so it was nearly as expensive (but presumably didn't include the head and feet).
    LOL! unreal! maybe it was fed The finest quality beer.. :-) (like Kobe steak?)
  • Here 's a web page showing newspaper advertised food prices for Morristown NJ in 1911. Roasting chicken was 18c/lb. and turkey was 22c.
    https://mclib.info/reference/local-history-genealogy/historic-prices/1911-2/
  • You could wash the turkey down with a coke for a nickle. That price stuck until the 1940's I think because they had a fixed pricing deal on the syrup.
  • The letter actually mentions "Cola" but not coke. I'll have to scan the whole thing.

I might actually know a relative of the addressee, so I think I will give him a right of first refusal before putting this up for sale.
  • edited September 2021 2 LikesVote Down
    I can remember buying coke-cola (or some other brand? were all same i think) for 5c or 6c + deposit for the glass bottle (shorter bottle) as a kid.. basically a bottle of carbonated sugar water... Late 50's - early 60's (i'm 70) :-) I did not smoke but gas and cigarettes were really cheap then on East Coast. California seems to have a huge history of High Taxes and high cost of living expenses. Really fun to see the prices quoted and the obvious well deserved complaints by the writer of the letter. :-) True California History! LOL -- just imagine what they were charging in the Gold Rush days or Klondike in Alaska